Q. I have irregular heartbeats and could not find the exact diagnosis. Please help.

I have had an irregular heartbeat for several years. I visited many cardiologists in person, but nobody was able to give an exact diagnosis. I did echo, ECG, and chest x-ray. Please advise.

#

I understand your concern. Were these irregular heartbeats (ventricular ectopics) captured on ECG anytime? These ventricular ectopics occur intermittently, so they may be missed on ECG (Electrocardiography), and one may require to undergo 24 hour Holter monitoring to capture these. If already confirmed on ECG, then it is quite common to have ventricular ectopics, premature ventricular contractions (PVCs), and the majority of healthy individuals have these. However, they are asymptomatic or are not noticed by the majority of the individuals. Now in your case, they are symptomatic or frequent. However, we should rule out the possibility of structural heart disease on echo (echocardiography). I suggest you take a thyroid test. Other factors that may worsen your condition are coffee and addictions like smoking, alcohol, less sleep, and gastric disturbances. In order to suppress these, you may request short-term beta-blockers like Bisoprolol. It would be better if you take the opinion of your physician.

|