Q. Can use of Mirena IUD cause irregular periods?

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya
This is a premium question & answer published on May 01, 2016 and last reviewed on: Aug 30, 2019

I am having a Mirena IUD in for three years. I had regular monthly periods, which will last for two to four days and usually very light. Four months back, it lasted for 12 days and was heavier than normal. It was almost orange in color. I missed a period the following month then had a very brief amount of blood. Had less than a day bleeding last month and this month a pink tinge was found and then nothing. I am experiencing pelvic pain over the past one week, with headaches and tender breasts. Do I need to consider a pregnancy test? Or could this just be the IUD? Thank you.

#

• Mirena IUD (Levonorgestrel-releasing intrauterine device) secretes progesterone which could cause a diverse manifestations including unscheduled bleeding or no bleeding or bloating.
  • As this IUD has crossed three years, you may face these types of on and off phenomenon. This is due to variable hormone release though it has a span of five years. But, do not think about pregnancy.
  • IUD itself is a powerful agent to prevent pregnancy whether it is hormonal or non-hormonal.
  • So, just relax. These symptoms are only due to an IUD who is on the verge of retirement.

For further doubts consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|