Q. How to find whether my symptoms are due to PCOS or perimenopause?

Dr. Purushottam Sah
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 18, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 07, 2020

I am 24 years old. Ever since my first period, my cycles have always been irregular. For almost 7 to 8 years, I had irregular cycles. I had a scan and nothing abnormal was seen. My doctor said that I should just leave nature do its work. A year back, I started with yoga. Also, I started following rice and processed sugar free diet. I lost abundant weight, although 5 kg more to go. My cycle since last one year became regular all by itself without any medications. However, last year I had a scan and it showed polycystic ovaries. Still, almost for 10 months my cycles were regular. But, they become scanty and last only for three days instead of five days. Now, since three months I have not got my period at all. I would like to add that I stopped yoga since three months. Before two months, again, I went to a gynecologist. She said PCOS cannot get cured completely. She said there is no medicine that can do wonders and so pointlessly she does not want to put me on medications. She asked me to start yoga again. Also, she advised me to eat well and stay away from junk and dairy foods to reduce another 5 kg. She is hoping that will greatly benefit me. I have started with my yoga again. But, I have a few questions to get clarified. 

Usually, I do get acne a week before of my period. In the last three months, I have not gotten my period, but I got acne around the date of the period. Why is that happening? Can I conceive in future? My gynecologist is an allopath, but she suggested me to take up natural ways of healing PCOS. Is that a good advice? I heard that some natural products like licorice roots, fenugreek seeds, flax seeds, etc., are very much effective for PCOS. I am planning to start with this. How beneficial would it be?

Most importantly, until now I was convinced that I have PCOS. I read about menopause and perimenopause. The symptoms are the same including irregular periods, vaginal dryness, etc. Also, perimenopause is very high these days in women of less than 40. So, is this actually PCOS or perimenopause?

#

• Firstly, you need to do blood tests Hb (hemoglobin), TC (total blood count), DC (differential count), sugar postprandial, prolactin, TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone), FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) and testosterone. Also, an ultrasound of pelvis to see the cause of menstrual problems.
  • May be your testosterone becomes high at that time of period date and you are getting people. Please test that.
  • You can always conceive and there is no problem. But, other things have to be normal.
  • Opinion varies between doctors, but allopathy treatment is available.
  • I cannot comment on the benefit of natural products on PCOS, but there is no harm in moderate amount. However, you need a specific treatment under supervision.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

What causes low TSH and FT4?

Query: Dear Doctor, After my tubal pregnancy my thyroids started acting low TSH 0.11 0.21 0.26 and low FT4 0.81 0.82 0.79 .076. But did not visit the doctor yet. Is it hyperactivity thyroid? Give me any advice.  Read Full »

What is Persinal injection used for?

Query: Hi doctor, I have PCOS and planning for pregnancy. Last month I had HSG. My doctor told that my tubes are clear. My LMP was 25 days back. This month I had Persinal injection on my 3rd, 5th and 7th day. On 9th day my follicle was at the size of 19 mm. My doctor gave an injection called Lupride on my ...  Read Full »

Will increased TSH level harm the baby's brain growth?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 26 years old. My height is 5'1" and weight is 52.4. I am 20 weeks pregnant now. I underwent a surgery for complete thyroidectomy and I am taking Thyroxin 100 mcg regularly. In my first trimester, the TSH level was 0.31 and the doctor advised me to continue the same dosage of medici...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»