Q. I am nearing menopause and periods have become irregular. How to manage?

Answered by Dr. Jimesh H Mavani and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Irregular Periods or Cervical Cancer? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I am 48 years old. I have been experiencing irregular periods, which I realize as normal as I am entering menopause age. Last month, I did not get my period. But, this month it has been a heavy and lengthy one for more than 17 days now. I felt the normal fatigue and today, I have been feeling lightheaded, short of breath and increased heart rate. I am currently waiting to hear from my referral to schedule an appointment with a gynecologist. Until then, is there anything I can do to minimize bleeding and avoid an ER visit?