Q. I am nearing menopause and periods have become irregular. How to manage?

Dr. Jimesh H Mavani
Published on Dec 20, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 03, 2019

I am 48 years old. I have been experiencing irregular periods, which I realize as normal as I am entering menopause age. Last month, I did not get my period. But, this month it has been a heavy and lengthy one for more than 17 days now. I felt the normal fatigue and today, I have been feeling lightheaded, short of breath and increased heart rate. I am currently waiting to hear from my referral to schedule an appointment with a gynecologist. Until then, is there anything I can do to minimize bleeding and avoid an ER visit?

Dr. Jimesh H Mavani

General Practitioner Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

If you have bleeding and you have to change two to three pads per day, then you do not have to do anything for bleeding on urgent basis.

At 48 years of age, if you are bleeding heavily, then better get an appointment and check your cervix and the other things. If required, do a Pap smear or cervical biopsy or dilatation and curettage and send for HPE (histopathological examination) to rule out cervical cancer.

If everything is fine, then you can wait for menopause to come and take medication as and when required.

If you are passing clots and there is more bleeding, then I suggest you Etamsylate like tablets two to three times a day. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take the treatment with consent.

If not controlled or have vertigo and disorientation-like symptoms, then rush to the hospital and get checked immediately. Because, your body can withstand bleeding up to a limit according to your blood hemoglobin level.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Conquering Cervical Cancer

Article Overview: Cancer cervix (mouth of the womb or uterus) is one of the leading causes of death due to cancer in women. Read on this article to know how to conquer cervical cancer. Read Article

Dr. Gowrimeena

Virtually all types of cervical cancers are caused by high risk types of HPV (Human Papilloma Virus) which is usually spread through sexual contact. Hence, in effect the HPV vaccines can prevent 70 percent of cervical cancers before exposure to HPV (i.e, before onset of sexual activity). These...  Read Article

I got pap smear done for irregular bleeding. Kindly help me with the reports.

Query: Hello doctor, I had irregular bleeding for eight weeks. Since ten days it is better. Please examine my pap smear report and HPV report. I got it done as there was irregular bleeding. I have PCOD and diabetes. Currently, I am taking Metformin XR 850 mg. Please let me know whether all looks fine.  Read Full »

Does taking Krimson cause heavy bleeding?

Query: Hello doctor,I have PCOS and I visited a dermatologist for acne and hirsutism profile. She suggested me Krimson 35 for 21 days and Aldactone 50 for three months. I am on my fourth day of my periods and my bleeding had reduced but when I consumed Krimson 35 before going to sleep my bleeding increased...  Read Full »