Q. What causes intermittent and heavy flowing periods?

Dr. Nadia Khan
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 15, 2019 and last reviewed on: Sep 16, 2020

My menstrual period has changed a lot for the past two months. I noticed that it has become intermittent and may last for two weeks with super heavy flows with blood clots. Last month, it started suddenly with heavy flow with big blood clot, and I thought it was my first day. However, it stopped and went back again during the first week of this month. Until now, I still have my period and I am starting to get very worried because I am still on heavy flow. I am almost 40 years of age. Thanks.

#

Menstrual irregularities are very common at your age group and it could be due to endometrial hyperplasia (one of the reasons). I would advise you to get a pelvic scan done to see the endometrial thickness to see how it is. If it is normal, then you might need hormonal pills to regulate your cycle. Mirena is the best option to avail for regularity and reducing heaviness. But I would advise to seek medical help in person and get yourself assessed in detail first and then get treatment.

| 

My periods are irregular and not conceiving. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I have had a history of irregular periods and now I am failing to get pregnant. To highlight about my past, I started having my periods from the age of 14 and had irregular periods always. Sometimes, I had heavy flow for 7 to 8 days and sometimes it was scanty for only 2 days. I was put ...  Read Full »

Having chemotherapy for stage IV invasive lobular carcinoma. Is it right?

Query: Hi doctor, The first case of cancer was on stage 3 ER+ invasive cancer of the left breast. Now, it is in stage IV invasive lobular carcinoma, with results of ER positive, PR positive, and HER2 with equivocal recurrent cancer. The site of disease is present on the abdominal lymph nodes and omentum w...  Read Full »

My problem is erectile dysfunction and premature ejaculation. Kindly help.

Query: Hello doctor, My problem is erectile dysfunction and premature ejaculation. I am 29 years old, 78 kg, 5'7" height.  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»