Q. What treatment would you recommend for endometrial hyperplasia?

Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja
Published on Aug 09, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 07, 2019

Would you be kind to give us a second opinion based on attached files? Please find the attached pathology report of my wife where basically she was given two options. I have uploaded the findings of endometrial hyperplasia. The options given are hormones for life, Progesterone with three to four months checkup and follow ups and hysterectomy.

Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja

General Surgery Medical Gastroenterology Medical Oncology Paediatric Surgery Surgical Gastroenterology Surgical Oncology
#

I have gone through the reports and the history of illness provided (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• Considering the fact that the submucosal fibroid is quiet small in size and the histopathology is suggestive of proliferative endometrium, it is advisable that the patient goes for hormones.
  • On the other hand, considering the age, having crossed the fertile age and hormones having its inherent issues hysterectomy is advised.
  • Now coming to my impression, given a choice to decide as a medical practitioner, I would opt for hysterectomy.

For further information consult a medical oncologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-oncologist

We have a few follow up questions. If we opt for a hormonal therapy for time being, then what is the first line hormone therapy medicine available? Is there vaginal cream hormone medicine available? The doctor here put her in category 10, which is a definite diagnosis of cancer. Second, is there assurance with hormonal therapy that endometrial hyperplasia will not allow in good percentage progression to full blown cancer in a short period of time? How often checkups are done using hormonal therapy? Would you ever recommend any other option beside the two mentioned? I tend to be very wary about homeopathy or similar pseudo science treatment options. Would you agree?

Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja

#

• Progesterone is available in oral, injectable and intrauterine device forms.
  • Yes, it all depends on the presence of atypia or in simple words deformed abnormal cells and 10 means complex with atypia.
  • In simple hyperplasia without atypical cells, it is unlikely that it will go for acute transformation into malignancy.
  • We prefer repeat examination every three months. If there is no response for six months, hysterectomy should be opted and if there is a response, then the medicine should be continued for 12 months.
  • These are the two time tested modalities of treatment. We prefer not to comment on alternative forms of medicine.
  • As mentioned, if no response after six months, then go ahead with hysterectomy.

When I went for uterus examination, why did the nurse question about cancer medication?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 50 year old female. My symptoms are blood and urine discharge after menopause, severe lower back pain and hemorrhoid. These symptoms have been happening for weeks now. Also, recently I had problems with my kidneys, but it is good now. I went for uterus examination today, and the nu...  Read Full »

My problem is erectile dysfunction and premature ejaculation. Kindly help.

Query: Hello doctor, My problem is erectile dysfunction and premature ejaculation. I am 29 years old, 78 kg, 5'7" height.  Read Full »

Had hysterectomy long back and spotting now. Should I be concerned?

Query: Hi doctor, I am spotting for the past three days. I had complete hysterectomy about 23 years ago and I am not sexually active. Why am I spotting? Should I be concerned? I am currently on Plavix, Aspirin and Lipitor.  Read Full »

Ask a Medical Oncologist Now