Q. Will Koch's disease cause irregular and painful periods?

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

My wife is suffering from irregular and painful periods from more than a year. We went to the doctor, and he told us to perform several tests like serum vitamin, serum prolactin, thyroid function, hemogram, calcium level, and Mantoux test. The reports, which I have attached, showed the level of vitamin D3 and calcium to be low. Her hemoglobin level is 11.5 g/dL, and Mantoux test is also positive. Is it a form of Koch's disease? She was prescribed AKT-4, Ondem MD, Betnesol, and Neurobion forte. But after she started taking them, she has some allergic reaction. Her body has become red, and she has eruptions, which are itching. She has a burning sensation in her stomach. I want to know if this is a reaction to the medicines. What does this Koch's disease mean?

#

This is a case of irregular, painful periods, which is not uncommon among the woman who has not become a mother yet.

• I have gone through the report (attachment removed to protect patient identity), but I could not find anything suggestive of tuberculosis (Koch's disease). You cannot start anti-tuberculosis treatment, only if ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) is raised or there is a positive Mantoux test.
  • Yes, vitamin D is deficient here, but that cannot be the reason for irregular periods. All other tests appear normal. There is a need for ultrasonography of lower abdomen. And there is a need for endometrial biopsy to know the nature of the problem.
  • Has she started any form of medication? If no, then I suggest taking combined pill like Ovral-L from the first day of her cycle for 21 days, and then repeat the pack after a gap of five days. The cycle will be regular as well as less painful. This is a contraceptive also, and I know you are not planning for pregnancy now.

Get the USG and biopsy done. Stop steroids and ATD (anti-tuberculosis drugs).

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

We got an ultrasound of the abdomen already. I am attaching the reports with this query. Is there nothing to worry about the positive Mantoux test?

#

Welcome to icliniq.com.

• There is nothing to worry if only Mantoux test is positive. We consider it to be tuberculosis only if the chest x-ray is suggestive of it or sputum is positive, or the biopsy tells that this can be a tubercular lesion.

For further queries consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

Tackling the Time Of Menstrual Cycle Every Month

Article Overview: Abdominal pain during periods is a very common issue affecting women.Adhering to a healthy lifestyle i.e balanced diet, physical activity,mental relaxation etc improves the ability to cope with pain.Pain killers can be taken as advised by your gynaecologist. Read Article

Dr. Gowrimeena

Abdominal Pain: Abdominal pain during periods is a very common issue affecting 40-70% of women in the reproductive age group. In medical terms we call this as dysmenorrhoea. This is associated with significant psychological, physical, behavioral and social distress. Usually it starts at the onset...  Read Article

I have severe and uncomfortable abdominal pain during periods. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I have severe and uncomfortable abdominal pain when I have my monthly period. My menstrual cycle and pain last for 5 to 6 days each month.  Read Full »

Am I suffering from tuberculosis? Please clarify from my CT report.

Query: Hello doctor, My recent chest x-ray showed some suspicious infiltrates in the lung. I am currently under thyroid cancer treatment. I got two CT scans done for both neck and chest. I have attached both reports here. Please help me in clarifying few terms which I did not follow. I would like to know, ...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»