Q. What causes loose stools with stomach grumbling and pain?

Dr. Happykumar Kagathara
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 25, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 07, 2020

I am 18 years old. This all started two weeks ago. I started to have some loose stools, abdominal pain (lasts about two seconds, it comes and goes almost twice a day) and grumbling in the stomach. My doctor gave me a three-day course of Buscopan, charcoal, and Apo-ranitidine after which the loose motions and cramps have stopped. But now the problem is that I have frequent toilet urges and feel that my bowel has not completely emptied. I am also experiencing a lot of gas and grumbling in the stomach. I have had gas problems from childhood but since these two weeks, it has turned a little worse. What am I suffering from and any treatment?

#

Occasional abdominal pain, loose stool, urges for toilet all suggest that you might have irritable bowel syndrome. This is a chronic condition. If you experience worsening of symptoms, change in consistency of stool, any episode of any amount of bleeding along with stool then you might need further evaluation in terms of colonoscopy or CT scan of the abdomen.

Primary treatment is medications which you suppose to take for a long time (as prescribed by your doctor). You also need to change some sort of life-style modification in terms of avoiding food which worsen these symptoms and also suggest to take high-fiber, low-gluten diet.

Might require a colonoscopy.

Indigestion, Inflammatory bowel disease.

Irritable bowel syndrome.

Medical treatment.

Take a high-fiber, low-gluten diet.

Follow-up with a gastroenterologist.

| 

Is it normal for a newborn to pass loose stool during or immediately after breastfeeding?

Query: Hello doctor, My new born baby passes loose stools during breastfeeding or just after breastfeeding for the past three to four days. Sometimes it is very small amount. But he passes stool daily for about 10-15 times. Sometimes it is in the form of foam. Yesterday onwards, I am giving him probiotic....  Read Full »

What are the specific ways to bring down the symptoms of IBS?

Query: Hi doctor, Please say about the specific ways to reduce the IBS symptoms.  Read Full »

Are migrating motor complex and fasting with IBS related?

Query: Hello doctor, Will fasting help with irritable bowel syndrome? Why fasting may help IBS? Why fasting may not help IBS? What is migrating motor complex, and how is it related to fasting with IBS?  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»

Ask a Surgical Gastroenterologist Now