Q. What is the possibility for a CT scan to detect my abdominal abnormalities?

Dr. Bhavin Bhupendra Vasavada

I am a 37-year-old male. My height is 170 cm, and my weight is 56 kg.

I have the following symptoms related to my abdomen; Burning sensation in the right abdomen for last three years. Weight loss of about 5% every year for the past five years. Diarrhea after eating spicy food, milk, or coffee. Itching sensation in feet during sleep. My morning bowel movement gives only 50% emptying, and then in the afternoon after lunch, I empty the remaining. Sharp abdomen pain.

I did an endoscopy, CT scan, stool test, and blood tests, including vitamin B12. And the result showed that vitamin B12 is in the lower range but within the standard limit, and bile acid is also elevated.

Please answer the following;

1) How much percentage of possibility is there to detect early stage of Crohn's disease in CT scan?

2) What are all the issues checked in colon biopsy other than cancer?

3) What is the possibility of detecting parasite infection in the CT scan?

4) Will parasite infection show in colonoscopy?

5) What issues impact fat absorption?

6) Will colon polyp cause weight loss in early stages or only in advanced stages?

7) What is the possibility for a CT scan to detect colon polyp?

Thanks.

#

I did not find a complete CT scan (computed tomography) report, but I assume that your reports are normal. It seems you search a lot on the internet to understand your issues. Kindly remember that it causes more confusion and more question than answers.

CT scan can detect all the conditions 90% of the time and can miss only in 10% time. Your condition is irritable bowel disease, and you do not require a colonoscopy. Irritable bowel syndrome is stress induced disease. So, try to reduce it and do good exercise.

I suggest you take tablet Nexpro (Esomeprazole) twice daily on an empty stomach and table Tryptomer (Amitriptyline) once daily at night for 15 days, and you will feel better.

Take care.

Thanks for the details.

I agree that searching a lot on the internet results in confusion. My main concern is weight loss of around 5% every year for the last five years despite eating well. What could be some common GI issues causing weight loss without any other symptoms like stomach pain or diarrhea?

Kindly help.

#

A diagnostic colonoscopy is a safe procedure with a risk of bleeding and perforation, but it is secure. 5% weight loss is common. So, do not worry.

Take care.

|