Q. What should I take for unbearable burning sensation in stomach?

Dr. Vandana Andrews
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 14, 2020 and last reviewed on: Aug 01, 2020

My stomach is burning from the last few months. Sometimes I feel better but sometimes it has become so unbearable. After taking a meal I feel my stomach is overfed. Though I took H pylori treatment few years back I repeat the medication now. And I took Sompraz HP kit as told by my doctor but it is causing loose motion. Now I am confused, how to take and what to take?

Dr. Vandana Andrews

Internal Medicine
#

The burning sensation or acidity as patients often describe is caused by three major things.

1. An ulcer in the stomach.

2. Reflux of acid contents from the stomach to your food pipe.

3. Increase the sensitivity of your stomach lining to acid secretion.

For both things, the idea is to reduce the acid content in your stomach. This can be done by simply taking antacids, but the problem with antacids is that they have a short duration of action. The better and more modern solution is to reduce the acid contents by reducing over a longer period of time by using drugs called proton pump inhibitors. A doctor close to your home can prescribe the same. I suggest you take it for at least two to four months to have a good long term effect. You can take simple antacids along with the proton pump inhibitors to give you additional short term relief.

|