Q. My mom gets abdominal pain with burning sensation in stomach after eating. Please help.

Dr. Muhammad Zubayer Alam
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 24, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 30, 2020

My mother is 56 years old. She feels pain and burning sensation in her abdominal area. Initially, it started from the right side of her upper abdominal area then after few days to the left side. It often occurs after eating. Although, we consulted her usual doctor, who prescribes her for COPD and BP. On his recommendation, we gave her Riximin 400 and Pantaprazole 40 for five days, but not much effect is observed.

#

I can understand your concern. According to your statement, your mother has been suffering from pain and burning sensation in the abdominal area for few days. She is a known case of COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) and HTN (hypertension).

Well, such type of abdominal pain may result from various reasons such as gastroenteritis, acid reflux, irritable bowel syndrome, indigestion, food intolerance, constipation, gallbladder stone, pancreatitis, diverticulitis, PUD (peptic ulcer disease), UTI (urinary tract infection), PID (pelvic inflammatory disease), kidney stones, gas, etc.

Treatment depends on causes. She should undergo some investigations like CBC (complete blood count) with ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate), endoscopy of upper GIT (gastrointestinal tract), USG of W/A, urine R/M/E, barium swallow test, etc., to detect the exact culprit for her present sufferings and then treat them accordingly.

In the meantime, she can take Visceralgine for her abdominal pain with Domperidone and Lactulose in case of constipation.

|