Q. What is the treatment for cyclic itching of skin in arms and back?

Dr. Vinay Kumar
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 06, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 10, 2020

My grandfather aged 85 years is having a lot of itching on his body. The main areas are his arms and back. There is a lot of inflammation at times and all of a sudden the inflammation increases and then goes down. It appears in cycle. He has been prescribed with the following medicines namely tablet Teczin 5 mg and Momate cream. He used these medicines for 3 weeks. It was good while he was using them but then again itching started slowly once he stopped using them. Please advice some other medicine as there is dryness in mouth when he uses these medicines. Thank You.

#

I have examined the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity) as well as carefully noted the details provided. I understand your concerns and will do my best.

• From the pictures and details, it seems closest to the situation caused by a parasite that causes itching in the evenings and night. The pattern being more pronounced before the medicines like Momate (Mometasone) have been taken.
  • Please confirm whether this pattern was observed to happen before he was put on Momate.
  • The dryness that he is having can be attributed to the use of antiallergic. It is quite common when a person is using drugs of this class but sometimes changing one for another relieves dryness. To anyone having similar complaint, I would suggest using Desloratadine 5 mg daily.
  • It would be good that one gradually reduces the frequency and quantity of Momate application and instead starts using Crotorax HC (Crotamiton) cream which contains antiparasitic as well as anti-itching compounds that are far safer.
  • Crotorax HC can be used twice daily as well as on SOS (as necessary) basis, depending on one's requirement.
  • For the first few days of stopping Momate, itching can continue but it should ultimately settle.
  • Please also notice that if he has any pinpoint brownish or dark lesions elsewhere on the body, especially in between the fingers, wrists, abdomen, thighs and other areas and that if head and face are spared. If so, please post the photos. I wish your grandfather a great health.

For further information consult a geriatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/geriatrician

Hello doctor.

Thank you for the information and swift reply. These patterns existed before the use of Momate. The previous doctor diagnosed this as senile xerosis with eczema and had prescribed my grandfather Teczine and Momate. But, since it is a steroid we want to avoid it. Also, there are no lesions elsewhere in the body except in some areas of back and hands. Thank you for your time and response.

#

Welcome back to icliniq.com. Thanks for information.

• Elderly people tend to have drier skin (senile xerosis) and it is more so in winters. That appears to be the reason and is based upon history, photos and other evidences supplied.
  • Here are few ways to deal with the dry skin in winter. Frequent sponging of the area.
  • To use a humidifier in the room and avoiding direct heat.
  • Application of oils like coconut, olive or almond to affected area.
  • Reduce using soap and direct contact with fur containing garments.
  • Vitamin E preparations help in some individuals.
  • Crotorax HC and Desloaratadine will be additional helps.

|