Q. Why do I have the feeling of insect moving on the skin?

Dr. Arun Kaushik. R
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 07, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 17, 2020

Other than a psychiatric condition such as delusional parasitosis, are there any known real pathogens that can produce the sensation of loads of tiny insects residing and moving upon the skin that can spread or move throughout the body and causing intense itch? If so please provide names.

#

• Certain parasitic infection can also cause itching.
  • You can get an eosinophil count check to get the proper diagnosis.

For further doubts consult a microbiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/microbiologist

Please could you tell me the names of the infections that can cause those symptoms or sensations? My GP is more willing to have conduct tests. And what other tests are helpful?

#

• The infections which cause itching are usually hookworms, strongyloides, loiasis, dirofilaria, etc.
  • The study of absolute eosinophil count will help. Also the cause can be psychological.
  • So, consult your GP for these tests and help in diagnosis. If infective then treatment will cure your symptoms.

For further information consult a microbiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/microbiologist

Can one or more of these infections cause the feeling of parasites moving on the skin? Can any infection cause a pricking type of sensation from time to time, what feels like upon or within the brain? Thanks.

#

• Some infections will feel like there is something moving on the skin. They also have terms like larva migrans that is some larvae of parasites moving on the skin.
  • The pricky sensation can be due to the movement of the larvae which can cause an intense itch as it is usually described.
  • I suggest you to visit your GP, get the suggested tests done, so that the diagnosis can be reached. A mere allergic reaction can also present with pricking sensation - like to allergens.
  • In the brain, the sensation can be psychological or sometimes some of these larvae can reach the brain, which may also cause this sensation.

| 
2 out of 2 likes