Q. I have itchy lesions behind my right ear that leaks clear fluid on rubbing. What is that?

Dr. Shama Naaz

I have some lesions on the right back of my ear on the outer side. It is red and itchy, and when I rubbed, it leaks a clear liquid. When it dries up, there is a crust that makes it tight and itchy. There is also a little red patch on the skin below the ear. What can I do to stop the leak and redness?

#

Do not rub the lesions. Otherwise, you will get the further infection. Keep the area clean and dry. Do not remove the crusts. If you want to clean the area, use an antiseptic solution (Povidone-iodine in dilution of 1:4) and apply an antibiotic ointment.

Send a clear picture of the skin lesion.

I like to know what you mean by intertrigo or seborrhoea with secondary infection. I am not a doctor and do not understand medical terms. What medication is found over the counter for this skin issue?

#

Intertrigo is a type of infection involving skin folds or creases. Usually, it occurs due to friction and moisture. And seborrhoea is a type of disease in which there is increased oil secretion along with redness with scaling and itching affecting your scalp, ears, and face.

So if the skin lesion is wet and oozing, you should clean the area with Betadine (Povidone-iodine) solution by mixing one part of the solution with four parts of water and, after cleaning, apply an antibiotic cream (Bactroban) over the area twice daily for seven days. This will help to reduce the leaking and redness.

|