Q. I have itchy rashes at the bottom of the ears with negative HIV tests. Do I need another HIV test?

Dr. Shanza Ikram

I had protected sex with a woman. After a few days, I had an itch at the bottom of one of my ears. After 12 days, I done an HIV RNA PCR test and it was negative. After a few days, I had a wart-like bump in the shaft of my penis and body itching. Then after 60 days, I have done HIV duo combo test and it was negative. In these days, I had intense itching with rash similiar at the bottom of both of my ears. After 90 days, I have done the ELISA test, test for hepatitis A and B, herpes, syphilis, chlamydia, and they were negatives. After a few days, I had small itchy red bumps in the body. After 225 days, I done HIV tridot test and it was negative. But the itching in the body with bumps continues. Now I am 314th day after sex. What should I do? Should I go for another HIV test or other STD tests?

Dr. Shanza Ikram

Dermatology
#

I have gone through the case. In my opinion, if you have no contact history for almost a year then there is no need to repeat all the tests. But first, you need detailed physical examination because there are different types of itchy red bumps and some of these are linked to sex and some are not. So do not go for all tests at once.

| 

But I think it must be a disease. During this period my mother also had these same symptoms that I have close contact with her. Hence, it should be a disease. What should I do? She first felt the same symptom that I had, ( itching in the bottom of ears), now body itching with bumps also. Is there a need to see a doctor?

Dr. Shanza Ikram

Dermatology
#

Well, in that case when other family members are also involved then sexually transmitted disease is less likely. I advise you to apply five percent Permethrin lotion on the whole body at night and then take a bath in the morning. Ask your mother that she also apply it even if she does not have itching right now.

Wash all your clothing and bedding. Repeat all procedures after a week. It could be scabies and it is easily treatable.

| 

How to differentiate between scabies, flea bite, bed bug, and folliculitis?

Query: Hi doctor,I am a general practitioner. I struggle to differentiate these conditions: scabies, flea bite, bed bug and folliculitis. I would really appreciate your clinical knowledge and goodwill in enlightening me about this, so I can provide better care for our patients.  Read Full »

After 25 months of unprotected sex, why am I having various symptoms?

Query: Hello doctor, I have few questions to ask regarding my health problems. After 25 months of unprotected sex, I went for an HIV test called comb AIDS test, and the result came negative for both HIV-1 and HIV-2. At the same time, I also took a test on HBsAg, HVC, scrub typhus, Widal test, and blood sug...  Read Full »

How is the CMIA combo test done for HIV testing?

Query: Hello doctor, I shall be thankful to you if you please answer few of my queries. How CMIA combo for HIV testing is done? How much it is reliable at 175 and 180 post incidence. INDEX was .14 and .08, respectively. What are the chances of error in the result? (Done at two different labs). Even after ...  Read Full »