Q. I am having a hard time in hearing and itchiness due to partially extruded ear tubes. Kindly help.

Dr. Mehak Agarwal
and medically reviewed by Nithila A
Published on Jul 22, 2019

I have ear tubes that have extruded or partially extruded, and I am having a hard time hearing. My ears are itchy, and I am having extreme and instant pain if water gets in the ear (at the beach). I have an ear camera, and I can attach photos.

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Please attach the pictures in which I can see you external ear canal and tympanic membrane. It can be due to middle ear effusion.

The photos that show the tube in the left ear. The picture without the tube is the right ear. Both are aching but not intolerable. I am having a lot of headaches (back of my head) along with neck and upper back pain. I am not sure if it is related to the ear issue or not.

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

Your ear does not look infected (attachment removed to protect patient identity). In one ear due to extrusion of the tube, there is a perforation which will heal on the own in a month. And in another ear the grommet is insitu, and tympanic membrane looks healthy. You will have to keep your ears dry because if water goes inside your ear, it will even go inside your middle ear and can cause infection. That is why you have severe pain.

You will have to avoid swimming, diving, keep cotton in the external ear canal while taking a bath so that the water does not go inside your ear. Headache and neck pain can be due to ear pain. You may take Paracetamol (1 gm) for pain.

What is the treatment for ruptured eardrum?

Query: Hi doctor, One of my family friend's son was slapped accidently by his friend, and his eardrum was punctured. Some doctors say that it can be healed by medicines and some say that it can be cured by surgery. Kindly advise the real picture as parents are worried a lot.  Read Full »

Some gum-like fluid is coming out of my ear. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, Some gum-like fluid is coming out of my ear. I have this problem for almost two years now. Please help.  Read Full »

Can I use coconut oil for itchy ears?

Query: Hello doctor, I have dryness in the ear and ear itching problem. I had consulted an ENT and he had said that it was a genetic problem. He suggested not to use any ear drops instead advised me to clean it using alcohol or spirit. Please give your expert opinion regarding the same.  Read Full »