Q. I am having a hard time in hearing and itchiness due to partially extruded ear tubes. Kindly help.

Dr. Mehak Agarwal
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

I have ear tubes that have extruded or partially extruded, and I am having a hard time hearing. My ears are itchy, and I am having extreme and instant pain if water gets in the ear (at the beach). I have an ear camera, and I can attach photos.

Do you have a question on Itchy Ear or Ear Pain?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

MBBS., DLO., DNB., FELLOWSHIP IN DIABETES
Diabetology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)

Please attach the pictures in which I can see you external ear canal and tympanic membrane. It can be due to middle ear effusion.

The photos that show the tube in the left ear. The picture without the tube is the right ear. Both are aching but not intolerable. I am having a lot of headaches (back of my head) along with neck and upper back pain. I am not sure if it is related to the ear issue or not.

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)

Your ear does not look infected (attachment removed to protect patient identity). In one ear due to extrusion of the tube, there is a perforation which will heal on the own in a month. And in another ear the grommet is insitu, and tympanic membrane looks healthy. You will have to keep your ears dry because if water goes inside your ear, it will even go inside your middle ear and can cause infection. That is why you have severe pain.

You will have to avoid swimming, diving, keep cotton in the external ear canal while taking a bath so that the water does not go inside your ear. Headache and neck pain can be due to ear pain. You may take Paracetamol (1 gm) for pain.

Also Read Answers From: Itchy Ear Ear Pain Ear Perforation

I have ear pain after removing ear wax. Is it serious?
Query: Hello doctor, I have been suffering from ear pain for the last two days and it has become really serious now. The entire right side of my face has gone numb and I am not able to hear properly in my right ear. I can listen to some hissing sound. I remember cleaning my ear with my fingers and tried to...  Read Full »
Dr. Baidya Nath Majhi

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From your symptoms and history of ear cleaning, it is suggestive of otitis externa with ear wax. Do not worry too much. It is a soft tissue infection of your ear canal most probably due to finger nail trauma. You need to take some medication and precautions and it ...  Read Full »

Why the ear pain increased after using prescribed ear drops?
Query: Hello doctor,A few months back, I had ear pain and according to the doctor, I had a fungal infection and got my ear cleansed and prescribed some drops for my ear to be used. As I used those ear drops my ear pain got increased and it turned into a very severe pain that I start feeling that some fluid...  Read Full »
Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concerns. Regarding your ear pain, it is most likely what is called otitis externa which is an infection of the outer canal of the ear most likely fungal. Wet ear is the most common cause also called swimmer's ear. The most appropriate management: ...  Read Full »

What is the best cure for dryness and itching in the ear?
Query: Hello doctor, I have dryness in the ear and ear itching problem. I had consulted an ENT and he had said that it was a genetic problem. He suggested not to use any ear drops instead advised me to clean it using alcohol or spirit. Please give your expert opinion regarding the same.  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Ear itching due to dryness is a genetic condition, wherein the skin in the ear canal becomes denuded faster than other people and form wax or flakes. The dryness will be present in both ears and it will not usually be restricted to one ear. To prevent the same you may u...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now