Q. Why does my brother get jaundice every year during summer?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 24, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My brother has jaundice, and it is occurring every year during summer. He feels very low and lazy, and his body becomes yellow. He is experiencing weakness and swelling on face and across his ankle. He also has a fever. We do not know why he gets sick every year. In addition to that, he has low IQ. Hence, he is unable to explain his situation well. We are really confused. Can you tell me what is actually happening? Please find attached the various lab reports for your review.

#

I went through your post and the investigations (attachment removed to protect patient identity) that you have posted.

• He has the following problems:
  1. Low platelet count of 40,000.
  2. Iron-deficiency anemia.
  3. Hepatospleenomegaly.
  4. Raised serum bilirubin and mild elevation of liver enzymes.
  • He possibly has a chronic liver disease, which will explain all the manifestations which he has.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Thank you for replying. Does it require any major operation?

#

• He will require extensive workup to find out the cause of it, which will include the following:
  1. Hepatitis serology.
  2. Wilson's profile.
  3. Drug history.
  4. Autoimmune profile.
  • Once the cause is found, the treatment will be accordingly.

For further queries consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|