Q. Why does my brother get jaundice every year during summer?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 24, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My brother has jaundice, and it is occurring every year during summer. He feels very low and lazy, and his body becomes yellow. He is experiencing weakness and swelling on face and across his ankle. He also has a fever. We do not know why he gets sick every year. In addition to that, he has low IQ. Hence, he is unable to explain his situation well. We are really confused. Can you tell me what is actually happening? Please find attached the various lab reports for your review.

General Medicine Internal Medicine Rheumatology
#

I went through your post and the investigations (attachment removed to protect patient identity) that you have posted.

• He has the following problems:
  1. Low platelet count of 40,000.
  2. Iron-deficiency anemia.
  3. Hepatospleenomegaly.
  4. Raised serum bilirubin and mild elevation of liver enzymes.
  • He possibly has a chronic liver disease, which will explain all the manifestations which he has.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

Thank you for replying. Does it require any major operation?

#

• He will require extensive workup to find out the cause of it, which will include the following:
  1. Hepatitis serology.
  2. Wilson's profile.
  3. Drug history.
  4. Autoimmune profile.
  • Once the cause is found, the treatment will be accordingly.

For further queries consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

Do I need to worry about my LFT report?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 29 year old male. My weight is 75 kg and height is 5'11". Two years ago, I was a heavy drinker. But, nowadays I only drink beer once a week for about 6 to 7 pints. My SGOT AND SGPT levels were much higher two years ago. I think they were around 150 to 175. I just got my LFT done b...  Read Full »

Tests for dengue are negative, then why is the platelet count low?

Query: Hi doctor, My father is admitted to the hospital as his platelet count is 8000/cumm. The tests for dengue and NS1 are negative. After injection of 4 units of platelet, his platelet count is 12000/cumm. Then after administering 2 and 4 more units, the platelet count was 23000/cumm and 22000/cumm re...  Read Full »

Though dengue is negative, platelet count is going down with fever. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is five years old, and he was suffering from fever, headache and body pain. He also had some rashes on his face and in some parts of the hands and legs. His fever was ranging from 101 to 102.5 degrees. After a couple of days, on medication, his temperature became normal between 97...  Read Full »