Jaw Surgery

My centers are not in the midline and the chin is too big. Am I a candidate for jaw surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, My teeth were not straight in the past, so I had braces to straighten them up (just finished my treatment last year). However, I still think there are multiple odd things in my face and upper/lower bites. When I open my mouth wide, the right side of my face pops and my chin does n...  Read Full »

Dr. Srinivas Saketh Gummuluru

Dentist, Oral Implantologist, Oral And Maxillofacial Surgery

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query, but the picture links you sent are not opening at all. Kindly send me the pictures again so that I will be able to answer better.  Read Full »

Is there any surgery to correct the facial profile and forwardly placed mouth?

Query: Hello doctor, From my late teens to now (I am thirty), I started becoming very insecure about my face, especially my side profile. It is heavy, thick and my mouth is more forward. I was prettier as a child. I want to inquire about surgeries that can be done to adjust my jaw. Also, I seem to have so...  Read Full »

Dr. Mohammad Emranul Islam

Dentist, Oral And Maxillofacial Surgery

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am sorry for your suffering. But the picture you sent me is not clear (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Please send close-up pictures of your front face and side face with the mouth in resting position. There is a surgical treatment for this proble...  Read Full »

What are the risks involved in a jaw setback surgery?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 18 year old female. I was 13 years old when I got my braces. My orthodontist made it in such a way that the lower set of teeth were slanting inwards so that my upper row could be in front. I do not have trouble chewing. I want a jaw setback surgery as I find my face structure v...  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentist, Endodontist, Pedodontist, Periodontist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, you can undergo surgery to reduce the lower jaw, i.e., mandible by around 5 mm or so if needed. It is only a slight difference. The advantage is a slight increase in aesthetics later on probably. Some disadvantage is always present like you said, i.e., nerve damage...  Read Full »

I am worried about the development of my lower jaw.Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I have a question about the normal development of facial structure of a male going through puberty. I am 17 years old, my height is 5'7" and I weigh 119 pounds. My diet is normal. I am very frail in stature but, that is not what I am worried about. I am worried about the development ...  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your lower jaw (mandible) might be small due to various reasons. Sometimes, genetic inheritance also can be a reason. By your description it seems you have deficient mandible.  In childhood, use of headgear (an extraoral orthodontic appliance) would have done you load...  Read Full »

Can jaw surgery for lack of bone cause any change in the face?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter had braces for four years but her midline is off and she has a gummy smile. Her bite is fine but her teeth are not properly aligned and she does not have bone on her left side. Her orthodontist referred her to a maxillofacial surgeon who says she needs her upper jaw broken an...  Read Full »

Dr. Gagan Khanna

Dentist, Maxillofacial Prosthodontist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The procedure which you mentioned is called as orthognathic surgery which is done if there is a skeletal malrelation between the two jaws which cannot be corrected by orthodontics alone. The procedure usually improves the aesthetics of the face and is predictable. The e...  Read Full »