Q. My side facial profile is more forward and thick. Is there any surgery to correct it?

Dr. Mohammad Emranul Islam

From my late teens to now (I am thirty), I started becoming very insecure about my face, especially my side profile. It is heavy, thick and my mouth is more forward. I was prettier as a child. I want to inquire about surgeries that can be done to adjust my jaw. Also, I seem to have some degree of overbite. I do not know if it is more about the overbite or that either my maxilla or mandible are too big or forward. I hate taking pictures because I always look ugly and I also have had people make comments about my forward looking mouth. Please help.

#

I am sorry for your suffering. But the picture you sent me is not clear (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Please send close-up pictures of your front face and side face with the mouth in resting position.

There is a surgical treatment for this problem. It is called orthognathic surgery. In this procedure, both the maxilla and mandible can be brought forward or pushed backward. But it is is important to decide which procedure is suitable for you. Please send me the pictures and let me help further.

Indeed, they may need to be pushed back. Here are more images for your perusal.

#

Thank you for the reply and the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

It takes some time for the surgeon to assess the deformities. On the side face, the curves of the face is fine but the mandible or lower jaw seems to be set backward compared to maxilla or upper jaw. The nose and the lip angles are close to the accepted range.

On the front face, the facial symmetry fine. But it looks like the left side of the face is little underdeveloped compared to the right side and the left eye is in lower position compared to the right eye. I do not know if it is the way the picture taken, maybe it is normal. The eye position, lip size, nose width are also within the acceptable range. The lips are closed but the lower lip seems to be thick.

You must understand that there is no fixed measurement of facial structures that I discussed. It varies among different races and also family trends. If your family members have a similar outline, then you have inherited it.

You can see a maxillofacial surgeon if you plan to go for orthognathic surgery. You may have to do some investigations like OPG (orthopantomogram) x-ray, cephalometric x-ray and dental model analysis. Upon a detail study, the surgeon will give you a plan. It may be the advancement of the mandible only or advancement of the mandible with the setback of maxilla.

Hereditary.

OPG. X-ray cephalometry.

Orthognathic surgery.

I am surprised that so many parts of my face are almost in the acceptable range, I thought it was way worse because I just felt my side profile was abnormally thick and large and my overall face is just bigger than most people (my perception though).

#

You are welcome. Keep in touch for further doubts.

|