Q. My chin is too big for my face even after completing braces treatment. Do I need jaw surgery?

Dr. Srinivas Saketh Gummuluru

My teeth were not straight in the past, so I had braces to straighten them up (just finished my treatment last year). However, I still think there are multiple odd things in my face and upper/lower bites.

When I open my mouth wide, the right side of my face pops and my chin does not move straight down, instead it moves slightly to the left hope photo clears the situation. Second problem, I think my chin is recessed as shown in the side-profile photos.

Third problem is my upper and lower bites are not aligned below the center of the teeth and are not on top of each other. There is a clear gap between my upper and lower bite. It seems that my upper bite is forward but also my lower bite is recessed. Sometimes I feel my chin is too big for my face. It looks huge even when I only have a slight smile on my face.

I hope these issues make sense. I struggled to point out what is wrong with my face for years. Am I a good candidate for jaw surgery? What do I need to fix these issues?

#

I read your query, but the picture links you sent are not opening at all. Kindly send me the pictures again so that I will be able to answer better.

I have sent the pictures.

#

I have seen the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

I will answer your questions point wise as you mentioned.

The pop might be due to any joint dislocation present on the same side. And also considering your age, this is the time generally for the eruption of third molars what we generally call as wisdom teeth. When they come, they usually cause certain amount of deviation of one side of face and it usually subsides by itself after the teeth erupt. If not, we can go for treatment, no problem. Your chin is not recessed definitely. In fact the teeth and jaws are a little projected outward which is making you feel the chin is recessed (anyways this can be confirmed in a lateral cephalogram x-ray).

The alignment of the teeth, yes, the upper and lower centers are not in the midline. That has be corrected either with aligners, braces, or orthognathic jaw corrective surgery.

Yes, there is a gap between upper and lower teeth. The gap in between is called overjet and the depth is called overbite. This is due to presence of your upper jaw little forward and downward compared to the lower jaw. Here again, the mode of treatment for correction could be tried with braces and if not possible have to go for an upper jaw corrective surgery.

Yes, the chin looks a little too much. It can be corrected with a surgical procedure of chin reduction. Overall, I want to tell that all these issues definitely are present. But all these are not huge abnormalities, only minor issues. You definitely make a good candidate for a bimax surgery (both upper and lower jaw surgery) along with chin reduction.

My suggestion is as all these issues are not too severe, just try once more with braces usage and still, if not satisfied, you can go the surgery. Surgery definitely may give a good result, but still you have to get it done. Just think well, and then take a decision.

| 

Please go through my dad's CT and tell me how long we can wait for surgery.

Query: Hello doctor, I am looking for a second opinion on my father's CT scan (brain). He has been suffering from mild to severe headaches for about two weeks and is now diagnosed with a clot in his head that is causing a midline shift. I am uploading two sets of CT scan images, the first one on 26th wher...  Read Full »

Does crooked teeth and broken decayed tooth make extraction necessary for braces?

Query: Hello doctor, I have crooked teeth at front and tooth behind the crooked teeth was decayed and half broke in sideways. It was touching the crooked teeth in backward and my teeth in under jaws are somewhat misaligned. Do I need a tooth extraction for braces?  Read Full »

How can inflammation of skin behind last tooth be treated?

Query: Hello doctor, My 16-year-old daughter is having inflammation of skin behind her inner tooth, the last one may be wisdom tooth. She has intense pain and is not able to move her jaw properly while eating food. This started two days ago. She had vomiting and stomach pain three days back. She was having...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»

Ask an Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery Now