Q. I have a bump on my jaws and my teeth seem to be shifting. Do I require a surgery?

Dr. Madeena Banu

Back of my jaw has a bump, and my teeth seem to be shifting. Do I need jaw surgery to fix my open bite? Kindly advice.

#

The bump developed seems to be on your cheeks from the photo you shared (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Also, your lower second molars are erupting now, so the pain can be due to the eruption of that tooth. Even due to new tooth eruption, you may bite your cheek while talking or chewing.

Please be cautious not to bite your cheeks and automatically the bump will vanish. From your BMI (body mass index) and weight, I suggest the bump may be your buccal pad of fat gets like bump due to some trauma. Once your tooth erupts, your problem will be fine. Follow rinsing your mouth with salt water twice daily. Your inflammation will subside. Let us wait and watch for 10 days. If the problem continues after 10 days, write to us again or consult your nearest dentist.

|