Q. Is there a need to consult a doctor for jerks of a 7 months old baby?

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 23, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 12, 2020

My 7 months old baby boy is dropping down his head occasionally. Sometimes, he has some mild jerks. Jerks were at the time after his feeding or after he wakes up. That time, he just swallows or lick his lips with tongue. Otherwise, his activities are very normal. He can hear us, identify us clearly, take his toys on his own choice, starts to grasping things, etc.. He started to crawl and got his milk teeth. For example, if we ask where is the fan, then he automatically sees the roof. If the fan is switched off, then he just sees it and cry. If he crosses some particular color lights or television, he will turn his head towards it and watch it. When I took him to his pediatrician, he said he is absolutely normal. Also, his health is good. He asked us not to worry. But, it makes me fear while he drop his head down or getting jerk. He is our second son and it was a cesarean. Now, he is having cold. He got his vaccinations on correct time. Is there any need to take him to a neurologist?

This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas

Neuro Surgery Neurology Spine Health Spine Surgery
#

Welcome to icliniq.com.I have read your question with care and understand that you are concerned about few jerks your kid has. First and foremost, I would like to appreciate and congratulate you for giving detailed descriptions.

• Regarding the jerks, they are quite normal for his age. You need to worry only if he is not conscious during these episodes.
  • Next time, when he has this episode, just ask him where the fan is. He will most likely see up and that means these are normal jerks.
  • Even if he does not see up, do not worry. Try this simple technique for a few more times.
  • Also, you can interact with him in any way. For example, showing a toy and checking whether his eyes follow it and check whether he is awake.
  • It is a very simple method to convince yourself that these are normal jerks and that he is awake during these jerks.

For further information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

| 

My 1 year old daughter is not gaining weight. What to do?

Query: Hello doctor, I am the proud father of a baby girl, who is 1 year old. The problem is that we have noticed a very slow increase in her weight. She is almost a year old, but her weight is still 7 kg. I just want to know if there is anything we can do to know the cause of why she is having such a pro...  Read Full »

Why did not my 5-month-old daughter roll from yesterday?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is 5 months old. She started rolling at her fifth month birthday. She rolled for two or three days. But, she did not roll since yesterday. Is this normal?  Read Full »

Does a fall cause brain and IQ damage in a baby?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter of 6 months old had a fall yesterday from 20 inches height. She had a hit on the backside of her head. She cried loudly and I immediately applied lot of water on the backside of her head. She became fine within a minute and she is totally fine now. Will it affect her intellig...  Read Full »