Q. Is there a need to consult a doctor for jerks of a 7 months old baby?

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 23, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 12, 2020

My 7 months old baby boy is dropping down his head occasionally. Sometimes, he has some mild jerks. Jerks were at the time after his feeding or after he wakes up. That time, he just swallows or lick his lips with tongue. Otherwise, his activities are very normal. He can hear us, identify us clearly, take his toys on his own choice, starts to grasping things, etc.. He started to crawl and got his milk teeth. For example, if we ask where is the fan, then he automatically sees the roof. If the fan is switched off, then he just sees it and cry. If he crosses some particular color lights or television, he will turn his head towards it and watch it. When I took him to his pediatrician, he said he is absolutely normal. Also, his health is good. He asked us not to worry. But, it makes me fear while he drop his head down or getting jerk. He is our second son and it was a cesarean. Now, he is having cold. He got his vaccinations on correct time. Is there any need to take him to a neurologist?

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas

Neuro Surgery Neurology Spine Health Spine Surgery
#

Welcome to icliniq.com.I have read your question with care and understand that you are concerned about few jerks your kid has. First and foremost, I would like to appreciate and congratulate you for giving detailed descriptions.

• Regarding the jerks, they are quite normal for his age. You need to worry only if he is not conscious during these episodes.
  • Next time, when he has this episode, just ask him where the fan is. He will most likely see up and that means these are normal jerks.
  • Even if he does not see up, do not worry. Try this simple technique for a few more times.
  • Also, you can interact with him in any way. For example, showing a toy and checking whether his eyes follow it and check whether he is awake.
  • It is a very simple method to convince yourself that these are normal jerks and that he is awake during these jerks.

For further information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

|