Q. What causes frequent jerks in the body?

Dr. Nene Devavrat Harihar

I recently met a neurologist as I was experiencing jerks (for atleast 5-6 times) during sleep and also during day time when I used to feel as if I have received a current shock. With family history of epilepsy, he wanted me to take EEG and an MRI. In the MRI, he noticed white patch like matter in the brain and wanted to repeat the MRI with contrast. The area did not enhance post contrast. Hence, he suspected it to be either demyelination or low grade glioma. Since the terms scared us, we took a second consultation with the family neurologist who was again doubtful of what it is finally suspects it to be either focal vasogenic edema in cerebellar hemisphere. The report has also has these statements- non enhancing medusa like branching magnetic susceptibility effects within this area and thrombosed developmental venous anomaly.

They have asked me to wait for three months and repeat the MRI to see the growth and then come to a conclusion of what exactly it is. I get severe headaches and it reduces only after I vomit. I feel week in my hands also. My parents are ignoring the symptoms I tell them as they think it is my imagination, so they are not letting me to get a consultation again. Please advice.

#

If you are getting frequent headaches and vomitings please consult a neurologist/neurosurgeon at the earliest. Watch for visual symptoms like blurring or double vision. We might be dealing with two different problems here like epilepsy and an incidental finding of DVA. If you could have provided films I could have had a look. Somebody has to see your eyes to look of you have any raised pressure in the brain. Right now you can start on tablet Amitryptilln 10 mg at night, one tablet, tablet Diamox 250 mg thrice a day (you may experience paresthesias as a sideeffect, do not worry, they will go off. Take plenty of coconut water), if raised intracranial tension is detected.

|