Jerk

Why do I get tics like head hitting, neck jerks, and twitching?

Query: Hello doctor, I have tics such as head hitting, neck and back jerking, and twitching, among others. I sometimes get verbal tics, too, where I make noises or shout. I am 17, and they are starting to get harder to suppress, and I am not diagnosed with anything. I talked to my doctor, and he just gave...  Read Full »

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Specialist, Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would not ignore these symptoms right away. Instead, I would suggest to get an MRI brain along with an EEG (electroencephalography) to check for any brain issues which may or may not be causing the tics. If everything is normal, I would suggest to involve yours...  Read Full »

Is it normal to have too many tics developed in a short time as a teenager?

Query: Hi doctor, My 13-year-old daughter developed a tic for about a month. And it started with a shoulder shrug (one side, left shoulder) and has progressed to several upper body tics. About six tics (head jerking, shoulder shrug, arm jerk or extending, hand hitting thigh, hand hitting chest, and hand f...  Read Full »

Dr. Gursimran

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand the situation, and I am sorry for her to face this situation. Yes, the prime age of a child developing tic disorder is 11 to 13 years. Usually, tic disorder has comorbid conditions like obsessive-compulsive disorder and ADHD (Attention deficit hyperactivity d...  Read Full »

How to prevent episodes of partial seizures?

Query: Partial seizures. Sudden scream at night while asleep, funny smell, shortness of breath, jerking of hands and legs. Same symptoms since 12 years ago after the death of my father. I currently take Tegretol cr 400mg in the morning,600mg at night Folic acid 1 daily. Started taking the drugs 5years ago ...  Read Full »

Dr. Vishal Anilkumar Gandhi

Answer: thank you for taking help from a psychiatrist. You are one of the best medication for partial seizure. You must continue it. You should also follow below guideline to prevent seizure episode. 1) you must not miss dose your medication. 2)you should take enough sleep, do not keep awake late at night. ...  Read Full »

Is it normal for a 7-month-old baby to have jerks?

Query: Hi doctor, My 7 months old baby boy is dropping down his head occasionally. Sometimes, he has some mild jerks. Jerks were at the time after his feeding or after he wakes up. That time, he just swallows or lick his lips with tongue. Otherwise, his activities are very normal. He can hear us, identify...  Read Full »

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas

Family Physician, General Practitioner, Neuro Surgeon, Neurologist, Spine Health Specialist, Spine Surgeon

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com.I have read your question with care and understand that you are concerned about few jerks your kid has. First and foremost, I would like to appreciate and congratulate you for giving detailed descriptions. Regarding the jerks, they are quite normal for his age. You need t...  Read Full »

Why am I feeling frequent jerks in the body?

Query: Hello doctor, I recently met a neurologist as I was experiencing jerks (for atleast 5-6 times) during sleep and also during day time when I used to feel as if I have received a current shock. With family history of epilepsy, he wanted me to take EEG and an MRI. In the MRI, he noticed white patch li...  Read Full »

Dr. Devavrat Harihar Nene

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If you are getting frequent headaches and vomitings please consult a neurologist/neurosurgeon at the earliest. Watch for visual symptoms like blurring or double vision. We might be dealing with two different problems here like epilepsy and an incidental finding of DVA. ...  Read Full »

Is Surgery The Only Option For Knee Buckling?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 36 year old male. I have been having knee buckling problem for some time. The problem started in the right knee about four years back and since then I have stopped sports. However, at times during some movement or jerk, I get this buckling problem and pain for two to three day...  Read Full »

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your history and the reports attached here (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There is a cruciate ligament injury along with meniscal injury and you also have symptoms related to it. So, surgery is indicated in your case. It will not set...  Read Full »

Why do I get sudden jerks when I am about to sleep?

Query: Hello doctor,I am 31 years old, male. My problem is when I am about to go to sleep then there is a sudden jerk. I asked my wife. I do not jerk while sleeping or in middle of sleep. It happens just when I am about to fall asleep. Suddenly a quick jerk. It happens for a couple of times then finally I ...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, you are suffering from hypnic jerks only. This is not a disease. It is a behavioral issue. I have successfully treated my patients with hypnic jerk by following measures. To reduce caffeine intake and particularly in evening. To stop alcohol and smoking completely,...  Read Full »

What can cause sudden jerks when under medication for Alzheimer's?

Query: Hello doctor,My mother aged 85 years is taking drugs for Alzheimer's for over six months. She suffered sudden jerks of hands and legs. She was admitted to the ICU and is now shifted to a room. She was treated with antibiotics and given sedation drugs. Will the jerks come back? She is taking medicin...  Read Full »

Andrologist, General Practitioner, Geriatrician, Psychiatrist, Psychologist Counsellor, Psychotherapist, Sexologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understand your concerns. Although it is not clear whether she suffered myoclonic jerks or seizure episodes (jerks along with a loss of consciousness, frothing at the mouth, unrolling of eyes) as both of them can present in late Alzheimer's disea...  Read Full »