Q. My joint pain is excruciating during the night, and I get very little sleep. Please help.

Dr. Sugreev Singh
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 03, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 10, 2021

I am experiencing joint pain in my hands, elbows, ankles, and toes. It has progressed rapidly over the past few weeks. It causes excruciating pain at night and I sleep very little. I am waking up with swollen joints and I have to sit for an hour or two before getting up from the bed. Is this possibly arthritis? Due to the pandemic, I am unable to consult the doctor. The pain is so severe and I need a remedy to get relief.

#

There are two types of arthritis. The first one is osteoarthritis and the other one is rheumatoid arthritis. There is one more disease called gout's disease. Sometimes it looks hard to diagnose them. But we can differentiate them without doing testing. Usually, osteoarthritis affects major joints like knee joints and it is more common and asymmetrical. Rheumatoid affects small joints like hands, ankles, and fingers. Knee pain occurs more often in the morning time and there is morning stiffness. Please mention the bone that causes pain in you. For now, you can take tablet Ibuprofen 600 mg twice a day after taking food for three days. Take tablet Omeprazole 40 mg once a day before taking meals for the next three days.

|