Q. What could be the reason for my grandfather's shoulder and joint pains?

Dr. Divakara P
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 26, 2016 and last reviewed on: Feb 08, 2021

My grandfather is 75 years old. He has severe pain in his right shoulder joint and bilateral wrist joints, especially more at night for the past two months. Just before a month, he was diagnosed as diabetic. His C-reactive protein level is 64 (reference value 0-6). Is it possible to have such a high value? Please explain his problem. He cannot lift his shoulder more than the medium height.

#

• It could be either due to arthritis or as a consequence of viral infection in the recent past.
  • I recommend him to get the following tests done and revert back with reports. CRP (C-reactive protein), ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate), serum uric acid, serum RA factor (rheumatoid arthritis) and x-ray of shoulder joint.

For further information consult a diabetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/diabetologist

|