Q. What are these spots around penis that cannot be popped?

Published on Apr 21, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 03, 2019

I have spots all over my body, prominently on the back of my arms and chest. I have a habit of picking them and white stuff comes out when I do. They are also all over my scrotum and the sides of my shaft (penis). They appear to be where hairs are, but my dermatologist ruled out folliculitis through taking a sample. One of them appears to be swollen, but is hard when I touch it and cannot be popped. It looks sore and is a bit painful. What should I do?

Cosmetology Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Plastic Surgery – Reconstructive And Cosmetic Venereology
#

• Please send photographs of the lesion as I am unable to get your problem.
  • If you cannot pop it out, then probably they are not folliculitis.

Revert back with the photos to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Please find the attached pictures and a letter from my dermatologist that was given two years ago. Thank you.

#

I have gone through the pictures and the letter (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• You are suffering from a harmless disease known as keratosis pilaris rubra (inflammed bumps on skin, legs, hands, etc) It is very common disease and is present in 30 to 40 percent of the people.
  • It is supposed to be genetic in nature and it has a tendency to improve with time in few people.
  • But, there is no effective treatment.
  • The lesions on the scrotum are known as fordyce spots scrotum and they are also harmless. There is no need to take antibiotics for it, which you were taking.

For further doubts consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Is there a cure for either of them?

#

• There is no permanent cure.
  • Tretinoin can be tried for keratosis pilaris and lasers can be tried for both.

For further clarifications consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Which acne cream is causing dry, flaky skin around eyes and burns on cheek?

Query: Hi doctor,Recently I have been prescribed Tretinoin 0.25 cream and Benzaclin gel for my mild acne but ever since I started I have been getting dry and flaky skin around my eyes and mouth and burns on my cheek. Which cream is causing this? And how do I continue using them, if so?  Read Full >>

Dr. Shanza Ikram

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your case. Actually, it is a very common side effect of Tretinoin cream and sometimes Bezclin (Clindamycin and Benzoyl peroxide) also cause it. My opinion is to stop both medicines for a week. If you have severe burning use Hydrocortisone cream onl...  Read Full

Does laser hair removal help with acne?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 21-year-old man. I would like to ask your opinion about laser hair removal. I have read a lot in the last days and almost everywhere it is said that it is not bad for your health and body and one of the best ways to deal with hair. I am thinking about doing laser removal of hai...  Read Full >>

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The laser is a safe, painless and permanent method to get rid of unwanted hairs. It is called laser hair reduction to be more precise. Let me explain to you how this laser works: When the laser is passed through the skin, it targets melanocyte (pigment-producing...  Read Full

Does laser surgery cause dry eyes?

Query: Hello doctor, I had laser surgery on both my eyes 15 years back, and it was not very successful. My eye sight power came back along with the cylindrical power. My power has been stable for the last 10 years. Now my vision has become 6/4. But, I found out that I have dry eyes ever since. If I use ...  Read Full >>

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your query. Dry eye syndrome also called as sicca syndrome is due to the inability of the tear glands to produce enough tears. It is sometimes associated with dry mouth and positive antibodies like anti-Ro and anti-La, in which case, it is called Sjogr...  Read Full