Q. What are these spots around penis that cannot be popped?

This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 21, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 03, 2019

I have spots all over my body, prominently on the back of my arms and chest. I have a habit of picking them and white stuff comes out when I do. They are also all over my scrotum and the sides of my shaft (penis). They appear to be where hairs are, but my dermatologist ruled out folliculitis through taking a sample. One of them appears to be swollen, but is hard when I touch it and cannot be popped. It looks sore and is a bit painful. What should I do?

#

• Please send photographs of the lesion as I am unable to get your problem.
  • If you cannot pop it out, then probably they are not folliculitis.

Revert back with the photos to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Please find the attached pictures and a letter from my dermatologist that was given two years ago. Thank you.

#

I have gone through the pictures and the letter (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• You are suffering from a harmless disease known as keratosis pilaris rubra (inflammed bumps on skin, legs, hands, etc) It is very common disease and is present in 30 to 40 percent of the people.
  • It is supposed to be genetic in nature and it has a tendency to improve with time in few people.
  • But, there is no effective treatment.
  • The lesions on the scrotum are known as fordyce spots scrotum and they are also harmless. There is no need to take antibiotics for it, which you were taking.

For further doubts consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Is there a cure for either of them?

#

• There is no permanent cure.
  • Tretinoin can be tried for keratosis pilaris and lasers can be tried for both.

For further clarifications consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|