Q. How to get rid of Fordyce spots in penis and corners of mouth?

Answered by
Dr. Ashwini. V. Swamy
and medically reviewed by Dr. Vinodhini. J
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 13, 2020

Hello doctor,

I am a 21-year-old male. I have Fordyce spots on my private areas and on the corners of my upper lip. Can you give me a cure? My problem has remained consistent since the last seven to eight years. It does not pain or itches or none of such problems. I just feel upset whenever I look down at them and badly want to cure it. When I touch the spots on the downside of my penis it feels like some kind of tight hard mass inside, but it pains when I try to squeeze them out all in vain. Two-three spots get bigger in size sometimes and remain so for quite a long time and some new spots also arise intermittently. It is very awkward to see them feel the masses inside and these spots are only on the downside of my penis and not on the upper side. And my BP is normal as I last checked up some days ago. I have no problem with sugar level or any cholesterol issue. Thanks.



Welcome to

Fordyce spots are sebaceous glands. It is a normal variant, harmless. I totally understand your frustration.

Unfortunately, this condition has limited treatment options and cure is difficult to assure. Co2 (carbon dioxide) laser is one option, it removes the spot but there can be potential for scarring. Another option is oral Isotretinoin capsule. Isotretinoin is vitamin A derivative, it is used in acne and it shrinks the sebaceous glands. I am very sorry to say, even with Isotretinoin, cure cannot be guaranteed.

Thank you doctor,

Well, my problem is not that severe. I do not even feel them unless I choose to touch them. But it is frustrating as a man in his adulthood when I look down at them. It sounds more frustrating to know there is no guaranteed cure of this but there has to be some cure though not 100% assured. Please help me with the best possible of the available cures. Would you like to recommend any gel or ointment for external application?



Welcome back to

I can understand your situation but there is no cream or gel that is FDA approved that makes Fordyce spots to go away. If you have confirmed the diagnosis of Fordyce spots, then there is a gel available on the internet, it is called Fordyce gel. Again let me specify, this is not FDA approved. It has a combination of Polyhydroxy acid and Retinol. It can be very irritant to the delicate skin of genitals. Results are variable and gel is quite expensive. I do not know if you want to try this gel.

I really do not want to recommend this gel, I am mentioning this gel since you are insisting me to.

But the best option for Fordyce spot is Co2 laser.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
I have white bump on penis with no pain or symptoms. What could it be?

.. is not looking like an STD (sexually transmitted disease). From your history, it is asymptomatic and pain free. Whitish concretions can form due to the collection of subpreputial discharge or it can be Fordyce's spot. Wart can be asymptotic and go...   Read full

I am suffering from Fordyce on lips, scrotum and penile shaft. Please help.

.. gone through your case. In my opinion, Fordyce spots are non-infectious lesions and are not sexually transmitted diseases. These are painless spots which occur in the area of sebaceous glands. It has no corelation with your previous HPV infection....   Read full

Is there a way to prevent little moles from coming all over my body?

Co2 laser ...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Monkeypox Virus - Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, Complications, and Prevention
Monkeypox is a zoonotic viral disease. This virus got its name as it was first noticed in laboratory monkeys in the late...  Read more»
Tomato Fever - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Tomato fever is an unidentified and fast-spreading type of viral infection seen in young children. Scroll down to know m...  Read more»
Histrionic Personality Disorder - Causes, Signs, Symptoms, Diagnosis and Treatment
Histrionic personality disorder causes variations in the thinking ability of a person. Read this article to know more.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Dermatologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.