Q. How to get rid of Fordyce spots in penis and corners of mouth?

Dr. Ashwini. V. Swamy

I am a 21-year-old male. I have Fordyce spots on my private areas and on the corners of my upper lip. Can you give me a cure? My problem has remained consistent since the last seven to eight years. It does not pain or itches or none of such problems. I just feel upset whenever I look down at them and badly want to cure it. When I touch the spots on the downside of my penis it feels like some kind of tight hard mass inside, but it pains when I try to squeeze them out all in vain. Two-three spots get bigger in size sometimes and remain so for quite a long time and some new spots also arise intermittently. It is very awkward to see them feel the masses inside and these spots are only on the downside of my penis and not on the upper side. And my BP is normal as I last checked up some days ago. I have no problem with sugar level or any cholesterol issue. Thanks.

#

Fordyce spots are sebaceous glands. It is a normal variant, harmless. I totally understand your frustration.

Unfortunately, this condition has limited treatment options and cure is difficult to assure. Co2 (carbon dioxide) laser is one option, it removes the spot but there can be potential for scarring. Another option is oral Isotretinoin capsule. Isotretinoin is vitamin A derivative, it is used in acne and it shrinks the sebaceous glands. I am very sorry to say, even with Isotretinoin, cure cannot be guaranteed.

Well, my problem is not that severe. I do not even feel them unless I choose to touch them. But it is frustrating as a man in his adulthood when I look down at them. It sounds more frustrating to know there is no guaranteed cure of this but there has to be some cure though not 100% assured. Please help me with the best possible of the available cures. Would you like to recommend any gel or ointment for external application?

#

I can understand your situation but there is no cream or gel that is FDA approved that makes Fordyce spots to go away. If you have confirmed the diagnosis of Fordyce spots, then there is a gel available on the internet, it is called Fordyce gel. Again let me specify, this is not FDA approved. It has a combination of Polyhydroxy acid and Retinol. It can be very irritant to the delicate skin of genitals. Results are variable and gel is quite expensive. I do not know if you want to try this gel.

I really do not want to recommend this gel, I am mentioning this gel since you are insisting me to.

But the best option for Fordyce spot is Co2 laser.

|