Q. My premature nephew had body swelling when he was a week old. Why?

Dr. Veerabhadrudu Kuncham
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 18, 2017 and last reviewed on: Apr 30, 2021

My nephew is a premature baby. On the third day, his blood glucose level was decreased to 34. Later, he was admitted and kept under surveillance. His blood test revealed elevated bilirubin level. Four days later, his blood values become normal. On the same day, suddenly there was swelling on his body. The biochemistry examination revealed urine spot protein to creatinine ratio 2.19 and moderate grade proteinuria.

#

Your baby probably has a problem with his kidneys. A urine spot protein to creatinine ratio of more than two usually suggests that your baby is losing a lot of protein through his kidneys called nephrotic range proteinuria. So, the swelling of the body might have appeared due to protein loss.

But, a single value may not be significant, so get it tested once again. If it is still high, then you need to worry. It could be a congenital nephrotic syndrome.

If the repeat test value is high, and body swelling is persisting, then consult a pediatric nephrologist for further evaluation and treatment plan.

For further information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

We also performed TORCH test to rule out the various abnormalities. Torch test was positive for CMV IgG, and the follow-up test revealed CRP 14. Please advise.

#

TORCH test is for ruling out some common congenital infections. CMV IgG positive need not always specify that there is infection by CMV (cytomegalovirus). And, CRP 14 indicates that there is some infection.

Please consult a nearby pediatrician for full evaluation and management.

|