Q. Can catheter open blockage instead of operation for kidney stone stuck in penis?

Dr. Devendra
This is a premium question & answer published on May 09, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jul 13, 2019

My father is a heart patient and his ejection fraction is 35 %. He is now suffering from kidney stone which is currently stuck in the penis. He has heavy pain during urine passage. The urine flow is almost zero. The doctor suggested for the operation with high cardiac risk. Can catheter open the blockage instead of operation because there is a risk of life due to anesthesia? Please suggest. Currently, he is on Ecosprin gold 10, Prolomet R 25 for heart disease.

Dr. Devendra

Urology
#

He has a stone in urethra, just proximal to a stricture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Opening up of the stricture segment and stone removal will be done at the same time. Cardiac risk is a real risk but is usually managed by good anesthetists. Just catheterization may solve the problem temporarily and may be difficult to pass catheter with stricture. At 62 years of age, I would suggest he should undergo surgery at good center with good anesthetist. And the stricture will need repeated dilatation later.

For more information consult an urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

|