Q. I have kidney pain, but an ultrasound did not show any lithiasis. Please help.

Dr. Manzoor Ahmad Parry
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

I am a stone former since my 30s, and I was able to pass stones just by medicines. They are uric acid stones. I have a regular ultrasound and is updated with my kidney's health. I also was treated with shockwave for stones for five consecutive occasions. My last was two years ago. I felt stones again for the previous two months, and I know I could pass them out through medicines. But recently, my kidneys' pain does not go even if my recent ultrasound showed no lithiasis. I can sleep at night with frequent peeing, and I cannot lie down on the bed. I need to sit to sleep. I was given Urinorm because my uric acid is a bit high, and Fozal and Avodart for my prostate. The peeing at night was slightly alleviated, but I still cannot sleep on the bed lying down. I want to ask if I needed another diagnostic exam to be sure about the cause of my pain.

#

I read your query based on your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity); it seems your problems are due to enlarged prostate. I would advise routine urine examination and urine culture and sensitivity. In the meanwhile, you can also do uroflowmetry. And you can take tablet Urispas (Flavoxate) 200 mg twice a day.

Thank you for your reply.

What is uroflowmetry? Is there nothing wrong with the kidneys as the ultrasound says parenchymal disease? What does it mean?

#

I read your follow-up query.

Uroflowmetry is a test in which you have to urinate in a pan, and it measures the flow of urine. Since your USG (ultrasonography) shows significant post-void residual urine, this test would be essential, and we can then change the medicines of the prostate. Most of the symptoms are due to enlarged prostate and significant residual urine. We need uroflowmetry to assess the same. Parenchymal disease in USG is because of cysts' presence in the kidney, which is usually age-related. We do not have to do anything for them except keep repeating the USG every year.

Thank you for your reply.

You suggested Urispas twice a day. Will this be combined with the current prescribed medicine Fozal (Alfuzosin Hydrochloride) and Avodart (Dutasteride)? Also, is this condition reversible? Will the enlarged prostate return to or be smaller in time?

#

I suggested Urispas 200 mg twice a day for five days. An enlarged prostate is not reversible but controllable with these medicines; however, laser surgery can be done if this does not improve with medications.

Thank you for your reply.

Should the medicine be taken alone for five days? Should I stop other medications in the meantime?

#

No, you do not have to stop those medicines.

|