Q. Is there any non-surgical management for kidney stone?

Dr. Shahil Khant
Published on Feb 23, 2018 and last reviewed on: May 22, 2019

I am a diabetic taking Glimepiride and Metformin. I have developed a kidney stone measuring 1.6 mm and the doctor has advised for a surgery. Is there any non-surgical management?

Dr. Shahil Khant

Andrology General Surgery Urology
#

I have seen your report (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It is unlikely that 1.6 mm Kidney stone will come out on its own. You require surgery. There are many options like URSL and PCNL.

Which option does your doctor prefer?

For more information consult a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

But what is URSL and PCNL? I am very scared of surgery. I live alone. Kindly suggest a better option.

Dr. Shahil Khant

Andrology General Surgery Urology
#

There are two ways in which this stone can be removed:

1. By endoscope through your urine passage called URSL (ureteroscopic lithotripsy).
  2. By small hole in the back called PCNL (percutaneous nephrolithotomy).

You can ask your doctor for details. URSL will be a good choice, anyhow both are fine. Do not worry. Surgery is not an emergency. You can go home and get treatment there or can call your family members.

Diabetes Mellitus and Oral Health

Article Overview: This article emphasizes the impact of diabetes mellitus on oral health problems and its management. Read Article

Diabetes mellitus is a metabolic disorder which affects the uptake and use of glucose by the human body. As a result, the glucose level in the blood rises beyond normal which has an overall impact on the general health and oral cavity. Types Of Diabetes Insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus: It oc...  Read Article

My mother was advised to remove left kidney. Can she live with a single kidney?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother is not getting recovery from her illness and now she is hospitalized in an International Hospital. In the meantime, she suffered from malena for three to four days. However, endoscopy and colonoscopy report was normal and now malena problem was solved. As her left kidney functi...  Read Full >>

Dr. Shahil Khant
Urologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through all reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) sent by you. I think the source of UTI (urinary tract infection) and other urinary problem is stones in left kidney. At present, there is no function in the left kidney and this is the source...  Read Full

After ureter stone removal, my urine flow has reduced. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a stone in my left ureter. The stone was removed and a stent was placed for two months through surgery.¬†After the stent was removed, I noticed a drastic change in my urine flow. Also, I am having regular pain in the lower part of my kidney. I had no issue in urine flow or any pain ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Vivekanandan G
Urologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The decrease in your urine flow following the procedure could be due to a stricture anywhere in the urethra. You should get a uroflometry done to confirm the diagnosis. It should be followed by an ascending urethrogram to locate the stricture. Most of these strictures can...  Read Full