Q. My mother was advised to remove left kidney. Can she live with a single kidney?

Answered by Dr. Shahil Khant and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Kidney Disorders or Uti? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »
Image: My mother was advised to remove left kidney.  Can she live with a single kidney?

My mother is not getting recovery from her illness and now she is hospitalized in an International Hospital. In the meantime, she suffered from malena for three to four days. However, endoscopy and colonoscopy report was normal and now malena problem was solved. As her left kidney function was completely decreasing and also having several small stone in the left kidney with a large sized stone in the urinary tract of left kidney, our local advised us to remove the left kidney. We are confused what to do for her better recovery. I request you to have a look on her report and advise us. Her report includes creatinine level, USG of the whole abdomen, CT scan of KUB region and renal function test. Her problem is frequent urination, UTI, vomiting, back pain, thyroid and sugar problem.