Q. Kindly view my reports and advice whether my kidneys are damaged.

Dr. Pankaj Jawandhiya
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

I am a 43-year-old male. And I work out six days a week. I am in excellent shape. I consistently get my blood work done every four months. I am a kidney stone former and had kidney stones on and off for the last 10 years. I have a few kidney stones on my right side. I had blood drawn two times last month. My GFR was 63, and 65, creatine level was 1.34 and 1.36. Cystatin C was 1.21, and ACR was 0.6. All other blood tests are fine. Based on these results, do you think my kidneys are damaged? Do you think I should cut back on working out?

Do you have a question on Kidney Stones or Chronic Kidney Disease?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Pankaj Jawandhiya

MBBS., MD., DM NEPHROLOGY
Nephrology

Seeing your current report (attachment removed to protect patient identity) there is mild damage to your kidney, and creatinine before four months was also elevated, then it is a slight degree of permanent damage. So the cause of the damage is long-standing bilateral stone can cause gradual damage to the kidney, so it needs evaluation for things, like urine routine, ultrasonography of kidney, test for sugars, blood pressure and if need a kidney biopsy.

About workout, you can reduce the frequency of workout but no need to stop completely, if you got a mild degree of permanent damage (CKD), you need to restrict protein intake to 0.7gm/kg/ day, blood pressure monitoring, and kidney stone management. I hope this solved your issue.

How to Prevent Kidney Stones?
Article Overview: This article discusses the ways to prevent the formation of kidney stones.  Read Article »
Dr. Praveen Pushkar
Urologist

A kidney stone is a common condition affecting individuals of all age groups. It is a recurring problem with approximately 50 % individuals experiencing a second episode. Though some people are prone to kidney stones, majority experience it because of their lifestyle.       ...  Read Article >>
Do I have to fast before I go for GFR test?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 27 year old female. For a year, I am advised to take one Sompraz D20 on an empty stomach in the morning, and one Libotryp tablet at bedtime for TB. As a part of routine check up, I want to get tested for kidney function, that is, GFR blood test. Is fasting required for this test? ...  Read Full >>
Dr. Devendra
Urologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I appreciate your concern regarding GFR (glomerular filtration rate). If no structural abnormality of kidneys is seen on imaging studies like ultrasound KUB (kidney, ureter, and bladder), then get serum creatinine, which is an approximate reflection of renal function...  Read Full

How to clear kidney stones?
Query: Hi doctor, I have a kidney stone in my right kidney and I have abdominal pain. Is there any medicine to clear out the stone or is the operation the only way? Please help me.  Read Full >>
Dr. Vivekanandan G
Urologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I need to know the full details of your kidney stone like stone size, location, etc., to advise the treatment. So, please send full detail and the test report of your kidney stone disease. Revert back with full detail and test report to a urologist online --> https://...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now