Q. Kindly view my reports and advice whether my kidneys are damaged.

Dr. Pankaj Jawandhiya
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Aug 08, 2019 and last reviewed on: Aug 09, 2019

I am a 43-year-old male. And I work out six days a week. I am in excellent shape. I consistently get my blood work done every four months. I am a kidney stone former and had kidney stones on and off for the last 10 years. I have a few kidney stones on my right side. I had blood drawn two times last month. My GFR was 63, and 65, creatine level was 1.34 and 1.36. Cystatin C was 1.21, and ACR was 0.6. All other blood tests are fine. Based on these results, do you think my kidneys are damaged? Do you think I should cut back on working out?

#

Seeing your current report (attachment removed to protect patient identity) there is mild damage to your kidney, and creatinine before four months was also elevated, then it is a slight degree of permanent damage. So the cause of the damage is long-standing bilateral stone can cause gradual damage to the kidney, so it needs evaluation for things, like urine routine, ultrasonography of kidney, test for sugars, blood pressure and if need a kidney biopsy.

About workout, you can reduce the frequency of workout but no need to stop completely, if you got a mild degree of permanent damage (CKD), you need to restrict protein intake to 0.7gm/kg/ day, blood pressure monitoring, and kidney stone management. I hope this solved your issue.

My mother is suffering from chronic kidney disease. Can she avoid dialysis?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother is suffering from chronic kidney disease, and her creatinine level is 9.8 mg/dL. She has a history of diabetes for the past 25 years. She is taking Insulin from the beginning. She has hypertension for the past 35 years. Her hemoglobin is about 11.0 gm/dL. Her eyesight has been ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Y Siva Roja

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have reviewed your query. There are specific indications for dialysis in patients with chronic kidney disease. They include low creatinine clearance, high potassium, patient becoming acidotic, symptoms of uremia (increased urea in the blood), loss of appetite, urem...  Read Full

How to Prevent Kidney Stones?

Article Overview: This article discusses the ways to prevent the formation of kidney stones. Read Article

A kidney stone is a common condition affecting individuals of all age groups. It is a recurring problem with approximately 50 % individuals experiencing a second episode. Though some people are prone to kidney stones, majority experience it because of their lifestyle.      ...  Read Article

Can Toradol alter creatinine levels?

Query: Hello doctor, If a person with chronic kidney disease with a creatinine of 1.9 and a GFR of 40 receives Toradol 60 mg IM as a single dose, can that lead to acute renal failure? How soon would failure occur after the administration of the medication?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Toradol contains Ketorolac. It is known to cause worsening of kidney functions. But usually what is seen is that, it is the administration for a longer duration which causes the increased probability of renal failure and not a single dose. A famous study reveals that keto...  Read Full

Ask a Nephrologist Now