Q. Do I have to fast before I go for GFR test?

Dr. Devendra
Published on Jun 02, 2018

I am a 27 year old female. For a year, I am advised to take one Sompraz D20 on an empty stomach in the morning, and one Libotryp tablet at bedtime for TB. As a part of routine check up, I want to get tested for kidney function, that is, GFR blood test. Is fasting required for this test? If so, for how long? Do I need to give my urine sample also along with blood? Please provide me all the details of GFR test. My weight is 82 kg and height is 5.4 feet. What details am I supposed to give to the lab for GFR test?

Dr. Devendra

Urology
#

I appreciate your concern regarding GFR (glomerular filtration rate).

• If no structural abnormality of kidneys is seen on imaging studies like ultrasound KUB (kidney, ureter, and bladder), then get serum creatinine, which is an approximate reflection of renal function.
  • A complex investigation like GFR estimation is not required. Some labs give estimated GFR based on creatinine and body weight, for which you need not fast if no other tests are planned.

For more information consult a urologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

Do I need to give a urine sample for serum creatinine test or only blood sample is required? Is fasting required for serum creatinine test?

Dr. Devendra

Urology
#

• A blood test is primarily done and urine tests are reserved only in cases where any abnormality is detected. Food interferes with serum creatinine levels if kidney function is compromised, so in CKD (chronic kidney disease) and diabetic patient, fasting is preferred.
  • But a normal kidney excretes creatinine well, so this does not matter in normal subjects. So if you have no known problem previously and just testing for screening, you may go even without fasting, which we commonly do for our patients.

For further queries consult a urologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

Thank you for replying. Do I need to provide my height and weight to the lab? Please provide me with all the details that I am supposed to give to the lab for serum creatinine blood test.

Dr. Devendra

Urology
#

• The following formula is most commonly used for creatinine clearance (eGFR) estimation: The Cockcroft and Gault formula, CCr={((l 40–age) x weight)/(72xSCr)}x 0.85 (if female).
  • Here you can see your weight will be taken into consideration along with age and serum creatinine value. Some labs use other formulas also if already known that the patient is CKD. For you eGFR, based on creatinine and weight, age is acceptable.
  • If your eGFR is normal, then it is fine, if any abnormality is found, then I would suggest you see a nephrologist for further evaluation. I am a surgeon for kidney diseases.
  • I would like you to get the following tests done:
  1. Urine analysis
  2. Ultrasound KUB region.
  3. Creatinine.

I hope everything to be normal, as you are asymptomatic with an old history of tuberculosis without previous evidence of an effect on the urinary system.

Can Toradol alter creatinine levels?

Query: Hello doctor, If a person with chronic kidney disease with a creatinine of 1.9 and a GFR of 40 receives Toradol 60 mg IM as a single dose, can that lead to acute renal failure? How soon would failure occur after the administration of the medication?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Toradol contains Ketorolac. It is known to cause worsening of kidney functions. But usually what is seen is that, it is the administration for a longer duration which causes the increased probability of renal failure and not a single dose. A famous study reveals that keto...  Read Full

Please suggest medicines for parameters out of range in the blood test.

Query: Hi doctor, My wife is 36 years old. In one of her routine blood tests, we found a few anomalies. The report is attached. Please let me know your thoughts on the parameters that are out of range in the report and suggest medicines.  Read Full >>

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have checked the attached photos (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Firstly, urine analysis shows pus cells which points to urinary tract infection. Please let me know if she has any painful urination or frequency. Secondly, the CBC (complete blood...  Read Full

My creatinine is 3.05 mg/dL. How bad is it?

Query: Hello doctor, My blood report came today surprise me that my creatinine is 3.05 mg/dL. How bad is it? I am very concerned. Is there any way I can avid dialysis and treat with medication, diet and excursive. Please guide me if possible. I am taking Verapamil ER 180 mg and Atorvastatin 20 mg for hig...  Read Full >>

Dr. Sandeep Varma
Nephrologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As I understand, you are having hypertension for past 15 years, apparently under control at present. Many a time, hypertension can remain undetected, without symptoms for long. So we may not know the exact duration of the disease in many patients. You have hypertension ...  Read Full