Q. What causes kidney pain?

Dr. Tamer Mohammed Abou Youssif
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 14, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 27, 2020

I have just started fasting from yesterday morning and last night I was having slight kidney pain. Then I awoke in the middle of the night with some kidney pain and a swollen kidney feeling and urinated with difficulty like having to really push it out. Similarly, last year my kidney got worse when I was fasting. When I was under 1 year of age, I had an operation on my kidney and have a large scar in front of the bladder or abdomen area. It was a blocked urethra, which caused whatever fluid back to the kidney causing damage. They said that my kidney would have to get removed at one stage in my life and 21 was the oldest patient in the past that lasted before removal. I am now 30. My height is 183 cm and weight is 85 kg. I wanted to know if it would be advisable for me to stop fasting and if so would that be for the rest of my life?

Dr. Tamer Mohammed Abou Youssif

Andrology Infertility Urology
#

• At least, now you have to stop fasting until you perform investigations such as urinalysis, kidney function test, uric acid and imaging of the urinary tract by CTU (CT urography).

Kidney stone.

Urinalysis, urea and creatinine, uric acid and non-contract CT abdomen and pelvis.

Crystalluria.

Revert back with the investigation report to urologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

| 

Why am I getting recurrent kidney stones with stomach pain?

Query: Hello doctor, I have many health problems. My gallbladder was removed two years back and now I feel pain in the left as well as right side of the stomach below ribs. I am also suffering from repeated kidney stones at the left side and also in my both arms, I feel some bulges sort of thing. Please s...  Read Full »

Please suggest lifestyle modifications to control BP.

Query: Hi doctor, My mother is 58 years old. She has high BP problem since last six years. She is taking Amlong-A tablet daily from then and everything was fine. For the last two months, she has been diagnosed with high BP three to four times. We went through all blood and urine tests. Once a few pus cell...  Read Full »

Please suggest medicines for parameters out of range in the blood test.

Query: Hi doctor, My wife is 36 years old. In one of her routine blood tests, we found a few anomalies. The report is attached. Please let me know your thoughts on the parameters that are out of range in the report and suggest medicines.  Read Full »