Q. I get cracking sound in knee when I climb stairs. Please help.

Dr. Atul Mahajan

Age: 60, Height: 5'3", Weight: 66 Kg

I slipped 3 weeks ago stretching my left leg. There was pain on the left side of my left knee joint and below. I was able to walk but whenever I bend my left leg a crack/pop sound comes from the left side of knee joint followed by pain around that region and below and difficulty in walking. I got hospitalized in nearest hospital where I was given few rounds of physiotherapy but after feeling little better crack/ pop sound kept on originating when I was getting out of car, climbing stairs (when my leg bends). Then on the suggestion of Doctor I was given Synvisc one injection in left knee joint one week ago. The crack/pop sound still sometimes comes with little pain around left knee. I was looking for another opinion.

#

You have degenerative changes in your knee which can cause crackling sound of knee. I believe your injury had caused some swelling and inflammation which has been tackled appropriately. Injection given act as a lubricant which usually decreases the crackling sound. So, it will be worthwhile to wait and do not get disheartened. The improvement does come, gradually but usually. You can also add on to some exercises to strengthen your quadriceps and hamstrings which further decreases pain. So do not be worried. It looks alright. MRI does show some injury which can be managed conservatively.

|