Knee Cracking Sound

Is it normal to hear knee clicking in 6-year-old?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is 6-years-old. His height is 46 inches, and his weight is 20 kg. He is becoming thin for the last two years despite eating well. Over the previous six months, he has had clicking sounds from his knees during any knee movement. I have seen such knee clicks in people above 60 years ...  Read Full »

Dr. Deepak Patel

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com I have read your questions in detail. The first thing that you are concerned about is the clicking sound at the knee joint. Clicking sound usually comes from the air bubbles in the joint. The clicking sound is usually normal, but if there is pain durin...  Read Full »

How to stop having a knee-cracking sound?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 31 year old female. My left knee cracks when I bend my legs. The cracking does not happen when I walk, and it occurs only when I am doing a workout. For example, when I use a rowing machine, my knee pops a lot. I would like to know if there is anything to worry about and problem...  Read Full »

Dr. Lokesh

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Crackling is not a problem if you do not have any associated pain with it. But if you have pain, then you need to take care. It can be due to mild wear and tear of the structures in the knee joint. If there is no pain, then all you need to do is the following exercise. ...  Read Full »

How do I treat noisy knees and painful joints?

Query: Hi doctor, I have noisy knees with painful joints.   Read Full »

Dr. C Elanchezhian

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. In all the joints, there is presence of joint fluid and cartilage end. When the fluid becomes dry due to age, then joint friction is heard during the bending moment. Sometimes joint cartilage becomes rough and again crackling sound is heard.  Read Full »

Why do I get pain and crackling sound on my shoulders and knees?

Query: Hello doctor, From the age of 20s, I used to get cracking sound on knees. For the last three to four years, I am getting pain in my shoulders, especially while driving or working long hours in front of the computer. I have switched to auto gear car and reduced to minimal driving, which helped a lot....  Read Full »

Dr. Zubayeralam

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you have been suffering from shoulder pain with cracking sounds. Such cracking sounds may result from cavitation, the release of gas from fluid or spaces from within your joint, bursitis, labral tears, or your...  Read Full »

I get cracking sound in knee when I climb stairs. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, Age: 60, Height: 5'3", Weight: 66 Kg I slipped 3 weeks ago stretching my left leg. There was pain on the left side of my left knee joint and below. I was able to walk but whenever I bend my left leg a crack/pop sound comes from the left side of knee joint followed by pain around t...  Read Full »

Dr. Atul Mahajan

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have degenerative changes in your knee which can cause crackling sound of knee. I believe your injury had caused some swelling and inflammation which has been tackled appropriately. Injection given act as a lubricant which usually decreases the crackling sound. S...  Read Full »

Are stomach problem and knee and joint problems connected to each other?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 36 years old. I am a vegetarian. Before three years due to stomach disturbance, yellowish urine, pain and some popup and cracker sound in my legs and knee joints. I visited a doctor and he suggest me for liver function test and all reports in normal range except for sugar which ...  Read Full »

Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Well I have gone through your history. I would like to ask you a few more questions to confirm the probable diagnosis. Do you experience a lot of fatigue? Is the sleep pattern normal or is it disturbed? Any feelings of tiredness in the mornings after sleep also? Any...  Read Full »

Is knee cracking a sign of vitamin D deficiency?

Query: Hello doctor, My query is regarding knee joint and lower back pain. I usually get a cracking sound when I bend my knees and while getting up. The sound is not accompanied by pain. Is this a cause of concern? Please let me know if any test or x-ray needs to be done. I am also having lower back pain...  Read Full »

Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Hope this message finds you in good health. You are right. The cracking sounds that you hear in the joints are due to calcium and vitamin D deficiency. These sounds do not mean that bones rub against each other. It means that air bubbles burst inside the joint. These sou...  Read Full »

Few of my joints are popping. How to make it go away?

Query: Hello doctor, A few months ago, I was not thinking and I hit a door with my hand and it has been a few months since then. I got tests and an MRI done on it and came back fine, just a mild motion artifact they could find, and I do not know what that means. The elbow popping will not go away and my w...  Read Full »

Dr. Sreenivasa Rao

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your concern. The issue what you are narrating could be due to poor movement control in the joint. Do not worry. I presume that you do not have much of pain and any other issue except popping. I would suggest: Do strengthening for your upper body and stab...  Read Full »

How can knee pain be prevented?

Query: Hello doctor, There is dull knee pain while standing and walking for one month. What can be the cause of this?  Read Full »

Dr. Lokesh

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Knee pain is a common complaint that affects people of all ages. Knee pain may be the result of an injury or some other medical conditions including arthritis, patellar tendinitis, ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) injury, knee bursitis, torn meniscus, gout, and infe...  Read Full »

My knee joints make noises but it is not painful. What can be done?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 34 year old male. Three to four months ago my knee joints started to make noises. But it is not painful. And, when I drive for a long time and get out of the car, my left knee which is used to press the clutch has a sharp pain. But, it is only once when I first step outside the c...  Read Full »

Dr. Lokesh

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I saw your X-rays (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You seem to have medial compartment osteoarthritis with a possibility of spontaneous osteonecrosis of the left knee (SPONK). Check SPONK in left knee. You need to do an MRI scan and I would also sugg...  Read Full »