Q. Can a 5-year-old undergo ganglionic cyst removal in the knee?

Dr. Renjit George Marcus

I want to know about my five-year-old daughter's left knee pain. It lasted about two weeks. We went to hospital they took an X-ray and MRI. Please find the attached MRI report. Can you please explain about the further treatment?

#

I understand your concern.

There is nothing serious to be worried about. A ganglion cyst is a harmless swelling, nothing like cancer. How good are the movements in her knee? Can she bend her knee completely? Is she limping? Is the pain very high? Only if the movements are restricted and pain is severe the swelling has to be removed. But the removal of the swelling is not easy as it is within the knee and she is only five years old. I suggest she will need arthroscopic or open surgery for removal. If pain is only mild and movements are good, I suggest it is better to leave it alone for the time being till she gets older like above ten years. There is a possibility it might go away on its own and also surgery will be safer at an older age. Have you taken any X-rays of the hip? or have done any blood investigation? I suggest you take an X-ray of the pelvis (both sides), total blood count, differential blood count, CRP (C-reactive protein), and ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate). Problems in the hip can also cause knee pain, and a ganglion cyst is unlikely to cause big pain.

X-ray of the pelvis (both sides), total blood count, diffential blood count, CRP, ESR.

Hip pathology.

Wait for some years or surgery.

|