Q. What is your opinion about my knee pain after 12 years of surgery?

Dr. Atul Prakash
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 18, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 23, 2020

I had arthroscopic knee bilateral chondromalacia patella joint debridement done before 12 years. Now, the pain had started again and I am having some swelling. Please suggest what I should do.

#

Here are a few suggestions.

• I suggest anti-inflammatory tablet like Voveran 75 mg (Diclofenac) twice a day after meals. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.
  • For swelling use a compression bandage and ice the area for 20 minutes at a time.
  • Avoid squatting, lunges and stairs till the pain subsides.
  • Also, you need a good manual therapist to assess you for hamstring tightness, quad weakness, including VMO (vastus medialis oblique - thigh muscle) and gluteal weakness.
  • Try the above out for at least 10 days followed by three to four weeks of physiotherapy to get complete relief.

For further information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

If this does not work, then what is the other option? Is another arthroscopy the best solution?

#

• The reasons for the above measures to fail are as follows.
  1. Wrong diagnosis.
  2. Poor understanding of the need for effort on the side of the patient or the physiotherapist in order to sort out the muscle imbalances. This is the most common cause.
  3. Structural damage to articular cartilage.
  • In case of wrong diagnosis, you need an arthroscopic diagnostic procedure after MRI, especially if that too fails to reveal the cause.
  • In case of poor understanding of the condition, no arthroscopy is needed.
  • If there is any structural damage, then lavage and debridement should be done, but with limited success.

|