Q. What is your opinion about my knee pain after 12 years of surgery?

Dr. Atul Prakash
Published on Oct 18, 2016

I had arthroscopic knee bilateral chondromalacia patella joint debridement done before 12 years. Now, the pain had started again and I am having some swelling. Please suggest what I should do.

Dr. Atul Prakash

Fitness Expert Orthopedics And Traumatology Physiotherapy Spine Health
#

Here are a few suggestions.

• I suggest anti-inflammatory tablet like Voveran 75 mg (Diclofenac) twice a day after meals. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.
  • For swelling use a compression bandage and ice the area for 20 minutes at a time.
  • Avoid squatting, lunges and stairs till the pain subsides.
  • Also, you need a good manual therapist to assess you for hamstring tightness, quad weakness, including VMO (vastus medialis oblique - thigh muscle) and gluteal weakness.
  • Try the above out for at least 10 days followed by three to four weeks of physiotherapy to get complete relief.

For further information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

If this does not work, then what is the other option? Is another arthroscopy the best solution?

Dr. Atul Prakash

#

• The reasons for the above measures to fail are as follows.
  1. Wrong diagnosis.
  2. Poor understanding of the need for effort on the side of the patient or the physiotherapist in order to sort out the muscle imbalances. This is the most common cause.
  3. Structural damage to articular cartilage.
  • In case of wrong diagnosis, you need an arthroscopic diagnostic procedure after MRI, especially if that too fails to reveal the cause.
  • In case of poor understanding of the condition, no arthroscopy is needed.
  • If there is any structural damage, then lavage and debridement should be done, but with limited success.

What is the best treatment for Erb's palsy?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter has Erbs palsy but we did physiotherapy for three months and the doctor said she is fine but she is still struggling with the hand and this is about six months after the doctor discharged us. Please tell me what should I do.  Read Full >>

Dr. Jay Indravadan Patel
Physiotherapist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thank you for providing the brief history of your daughter. I am sorry firstly to hear that your daughter is being diagnosed with Erb's palsy. Well, I would suggest you to continue physiotherapy for atleast three days a week as it will be of good help for her. Usuall...  Read Full

When can physiotherapy be started after bilateral hip replacement surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, I had bilateral hip replacement¬†surgery done recently. The right hip was replaced last month, and the left hip was replaced this month. Is it advisable to do physiotherapy now?  Read Full >>

Dr. Shakti Mishra
Nutritionist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The day when a hip replacement is done, that day itself, other joint movements should be started as early as possible. First, non-weight-bearing physiotherapy should be done, followed by partial and full weight-bearing exercises. Non-weight bearing movements should be don...  Read Full

What is the treatment for facet hypertrophy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 28 years old and suffering from facet hypertrophy. I have continuous lower back pain. I cannot stand for more than five minutes. I am taking Nuroday daily. I would like to know the treatment.  Read Full >>

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have mentioned that you are 28 years of age and have continuous lower back pain which I think is not responding to the medications and conservative management. Normally at this age, conservative management in the form of anti-inflammatory medications, intensive phy...  Read Full

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now