Q. What is the treatment for knee swelling?

Dr. Sumit Chawla
Published on Jun 12, 2016

My father is 50 years old. He has swelling in left knee and some liquid is coming out of the knee. He consulted an orthopedic doctor and he prescribed some tests and medicine to him. Also, the doctor said his bones are weak. Please explain me what should I do know. Also, let me know whether my father is taking the right medicine or not. What should he do according to you and about doctor comment on weak bones? Also, how to cure that? Should he massage with hot water bag or ice? I am attaching the photos of my father's knee and prescriptions. Please guide me for the next step.

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Orthopedics And Traumatology
#

• After seeing the clinical image (attachment removed to protect patient identity) it appears to be synovitis of the knee joint.
  • At the age of 50, osteoarthritis being the most common cause of synovitis. It is not advisable to start with steroid small 6 mg tablet.
  • Is your father having fever, sore throat or any other symptoms apart from the knee joint swelling?
  • X-ray of the affected knee is required to confirm the diagnosis of osteoarthritis.
  • If x-ray is taken, then comment can be made whether the bones are weak (osteoporosis) or not and decide on the course of treatment.
  • Follow up with your father's x-ray knee joint for confirmation and discussion regarding treatment.

Revert back with the x-ray report to an orthopaedician and traumatologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

I am attaching x-ray reports and other reports. Please explain me the next course of action, as I have already attached the medication prescribed.

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Orthopedics And Traumatology
#

• He has osteoarthritis knee with synovitis (attachment removed to protect patient identity).
  • It is difficult to comment on weak bone status in 50 year old male from knee x-ray. BMD - bone mineral density test is required to confirm that.
  • Present line of treatment is daily intake of calcium, vitamin D after assessment of serum vitamin D levels and tablet Diacerein 50 mg twice a day.
  • Currently, he should give rest to the knee for synovitis to subside and a course of anti-inflammatory medication such as Aceclofenac along with Omeprazole (proton pump inhibitors).
  • Additional treatment in the form of Hyaluronic acid injection can be discussed.
  • He should avoid squatting and sitting cross-legged.

For further information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

Easy Exercises for Knee Osteoarthritis (OA)

Article Overview: This article talks briefly about knee osteoarthritis and stresses on how you can benefit from special physiotherapy exercises for the knee. Read Article

Dr. Ankita Sharma
Physiotherapist

Osteoarthritis is a form of arthritis that features the breakdown and eventually, loss of the cartilage of one or more joints. Osteoarthritis occurs more frequently as we age, the common age group of onset being 40 to 50 years. Osteoarthritis is referred to as degenerative joint diseases (DJD). Oste...  Read Article

Can Alphintern be used for knee swelling?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 28 year old female. My height is 1.65 meter and my weight is 56 kg. I was suffering from a knee problem, and I took rest for a couple of days. I took Alphintern and used my resistance band to improve my knee-range and everything was fine, except for a grinding noise during exe...  Read Full »

I have osteoporosis. Will I be able to conceive?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 31 year old married female. I have been diagnosed with osteoporosis. I am really worried whether I would be able to conceive or not. Please suggest me some advice.  Read Full »

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now