Q. What is the treatment for knee swelling?

Answered by
Dr. Sumit Chawla
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 12, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 29, 2020

Hi doctor,

My father is 50 years old. He has swelling in left knee and some liquid is coming out of the knee. He consulted an orthopedic doctor and he prescribed some tests and medicine to him. Also, the doctor said his bones are weak. Please explain me what should I do know. Also, let me know whether my father is taking the right medicine or not. What should he do according to you and about doctor comment on weak bones? Also, how to cure that? Should he massage with hot water bag or ice? I am attaching the photos of my father's knee and prescriptions. Please guide me for the next step.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

  • After seeing the clinical image (attachment removed to protect patient identity) it appears to be synovitis of the knee joint.
  • At the age of 50, osteoarthritis being the most common cause of synovitis. It is not advisable to start with steroid small 6 mg tablet.
  • Is your father having fever, sore throat or any other symptoms apart from the knee joint swelling?
  • X-ray of the affected knee is required to confirm the diagnosis of osteoarthritis.
  • If x-ray is taken, then comment can be made whether the bones are weak (osteoporosis) or not and decide on the course of treatment.
  • Follow up with your father's x-ray knee joint for confirmation and discussion regarding treatment.

Revert back with the x-ray report to an orthopaedician and traumatologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

Thank you doctor,

I am attaching x-ray reports and other reports. Please explain me the next course of action, as I have already attached the medication prescribed.



Welcome back to icliniq.com.

  • He has osteoarthritis knee with synovitis (attachment removed to protect patient identity).
  • It is difficult to comment on weak bone status in 50 year old male from knee x-ray. BMD - bone mineral density test is required to confirm that.
  • Present line of treatment is daily intake of calcium, vitamin D after assessment of serum vitamin D levels and tablet Diacerein 50 mg twice a day.
  • Currently, he should give rest to the knee for synovitis to subside and a course of anti-inflammatory medication such as Aceclofenac along with Omeprazole (proton pump inhibitors).
  • Additional treatment in the form of Hyaluronic acid injection can be discussed.
  • He should avoid squatting and sitting cross-legged.

For further information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

Was this answer helpful?



This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Easy Exercises for Knee Osteoarthritis (OA)

Article Overview: This article talks briefly about knee osteoarthritis and stresses on how you can benefit from special physiotherapy exercises for the knee. Read Article

Dr. Ankita Sharma

Osteoarthritis is a form of arthritis that features the breakdown and eventually, loss of the cartilage of one or more joints. Osteoarthritis occurs more frequently as we age, the common age group of onset being 40 to 50 years. Osteoarthritis is referred to as degenerative joint diseases (DJD). Oste...  Read Article

Can Alphintern be used for knee swelling?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 28 year old female. My height is 1.65 meter and my weight is 56 kg. I was suffering from a knee problem, and I took rest for a couple of days. I took Alphintern and used my resistance band to improve my knee-range and everything was fine, except for a grinding noise during exe...  Read Full »

Can a woman with osteoporosis conceive?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 31 year old married female. I have been diagnosed with osteoporosis. I am really worried whether I would be able to conceive or not. Please suggest me some advice.  Read Full »

Also Read

I get twitches on my calves, shoulders, and head after getting the Novavax COVID vaccine. Please help.
Hello doctor, I got the Novavax COVID vaccine. Since I had the vaccine, I had bad arm pain. But the scary thing that ha...  Read more»
It hurts when I push above my left breast bone. Please help.
Hi doctor, I have been having some chest pain issues. When I push above my left breast bone it hurts in only one spot. ...  Read more»
Bird Flu (Avian Influenza) - Causes, Symptoms, Mortality Rate, and Treatment
Bird flu or avian influenza is a viral infection that spreads among birds and can affect humans rarely. Read the article...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.