Q. Will knock knees get correct on its own in a 10-year-old boy?

Dr. Anuj Gupta

My son is 10 years old and he is suffering from knock knees. Although he is not having a problem playing sports. However, his stepping during walking is not proper which is quite visible when he walks. I had met a few orthopedic doctors earlier where it was told that these things automatically correct with age. However, a few days back, I met a senior pediatrician where he told me to consult a pediatric orthopedic.

#

Could you please send his photo while standing?

I will send the pictures.

#

I have seen the picture (attachment removed to patient identity).

Well, knock knees correct on its own by the age of 7 years if at all it has to correct. At 10 years not possible.

Now coming to your problem, generally, we treat knock knees only if it is hampering the child while playing sports, there is a history of frequent falls due to knees touching each other while running or walking.

In your child, there is nothing like that. The only problem is abnormal looking walking due to deformity. Practically speaking, this will remain there until unless you get knock knees treated. The only treatment to correct knock knees is surgery. Surgery is simple and really rewarding with very rare chances of complications.

In your child, there is no absolute indication of surgery but for cosmetic improvement, surgery can be done but the decision will be yours.

At present, I am posted in Kanpur, due to the COVID pandemic it will be difficult to go to Delhi and also I had searched but there is no orthopedic pediatrics in Kanpur. Someone suggested me to use knee corrector a pillow-shaped foam to be used while sleeping and few exercised. It is also available on youtube and the same as one orthopedic surgeon told me before and exercises he had started from yesterday. Does the knee corrector help? Also as he grows will this problem intensify or it will cure by itself?

#

The pillow you are talking about is useful when the child is small say 4 or 5 years and not 10 years.

Second thing, this is a very simple surgery done by every orthopedic surgeon. When I was in the hospital, we used to do it a lot. I have done many cases like this with good results.

|