Q. Can I take L-Glutamine to relieve symptoms of Crohn's disease?

Dr. M. A. Toyeb, Nazma Parveen
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 11, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 11, 2021

I am a male 29 years old, my height is 5'10", and my weight is 138 lbs. I am under Sulfasalazine medication.

I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease sixteen years ago, never having entered a remission since. I was recently informed by a friend that my glutamine can be beneficial for leaky gut, which I think may be the root cause of the Crohn's. I also have several food allergies, chronic sinus infections, joint pain, etc. I began taking L-Glutamine two weeks ago, initially seeing a reduction in symptoms. I then started having headaches, which I believe are a side effect. At this point, I researched L-Glutamine further and found that it may actually cause adverse side effects relating to glutamate production, cancer cell growth, brain issues, etc. My question is whether or not L-Glutamine is effective for healing the intestinal tract and if it can cause serious side effects. I am concerned that it could cause more harm than good. I was taking five grams twice daily and have since reduced it to five grams once daily. Please guide me.

#

I have read through your question and understand your concern. It is correct that L-Glutamine has been seen to help in the healthy functioning of the intestine but this is still under trial and there is not enough data to prove it conclusively. The side effects you have mentioned may occur on a very long term use of glutamine and that too on very high doses. At present it is recommended to start at a low dose of 5 grams daily and observe if you see any benefit. I hope that answers your question. If you have any further questions please feel free to write.

|