Q. Can I take L-Glutamine to relieve symptoms of Crohn's disease?

Dr. Nazma Parveen
Gender: male
Age: 29
Height: 5'10"
weight: 138 lbs
Medication: Sulfafalazine

I was diagnosed with crohns disease 16 years ago, never having entered a remission since. I was recently informed by a friend that l glutamine can be beneficial for leaky gut, which I think may be the root cause of the crohns. I also have several food allergies, chronic sinus infections, joint pain, etc. I began taking Jarrow l glutamine two weeks ago, initially seeing a reduction in symptoms. I then started having headaches, which I believe are a side effect. At this point, I researched l Glutamine further and found that it may actually cause negative side effects relating to glutamate production, cancer cell growth, brain issues, etc. My question is whether or not l glutamine is effective for healing the intestinal tract and if it does have the potential to cause serious side effects. I am concerned that it could cause more harm than good. I was talking five grams twice daily, and have since reduced to five grams once daily. Any insight we ould be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Dr. Nazma Parveen

Family Physician General Practitioner
#

Hello.

I have read through your question and understand your concern. It is correct that L glutamine has been seen to help in the healthy functioning of the intestine but this is still under trial and there isn't enough data to prove it conclusively. The side effects you have mentioned may occur on a very long term use of glutamine and that too on very high doses. At present it is recommended to start at a low dose of 5 grams daily and observe if you see any benefit. I hope that answers your question. If you have any further questions please feel free to write. Thank you for choosing icliniq.

|