Q. Does sharp pain in lower left abdomen in pregnant woman mean labor?

I am 37 weeks pregnant. I have sharp pain in lower left side that is coming every couple minutes but does not last long. Is this the start of labor? I am also possibly leaking amniotic fluid but I am not entirely sure since there is not a lot.

#

How are you doing today? As you said most probably it is the beginning of labor pain. Usually cervix, the mouth of uterus is slightly to the left. Pain usually lasts for a few seconds only, but reappears. Do not worry. Minimal vaginal discharge with this pain indicates that cervix is gradually opening. To confirm about the pain, just feel the top of uterus, trying to indent your fingers. When no pain, you can feel the baby parts. When you get the pain, uterus contracts and becomes stony hard, you will not feel baby parts. Just having pain is not an emergency.

Just note four points:

1. Movement- you should have atleast four movements after each meal.

2. Pain- if it is frequent and lasts longer.

3. Leak- you will feel thick water just wetting your clothes. Not minimal discharge.

4. Bleeding- obvious red colour.

You will need medical help in all these situations. Do not panic, if this is your first pregnancy, it takes about 12 hours for baby to come out after true labor pain and 6 to 8 hours, if second. All the best.

|