Q. Does sharp pain in lower left abdomen in pregnant woman mean labor?

Published on Jun 12, 2019

I am 37 weeks pregnant. I have sharp pain in lower left side that is coming every couple minutes but does not last long. Is this the start of labor? I am also possibly leaking amniotic fluid but I am not entirely sure since there is not a lot.

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

How are you doing today? As you said most probably it is the beginning of labor pain. Usually cervix, the mouth of uterus is slightly to the left. Pain usually lasts for a few seconds only, but reappears. Do not worry. Minimal vaginal discharge with this pain indicates that cervix is gradually opening. To confirm about the pain, just feel the top of uterus, trying to indent your fingers. When no pain, you can feel the baby parts. When you get the pain, uterus contracts and becomes stony hard, you will not feel baby parts. Just having pain is not an emergency.

Just note four points:

1. Movement- you should have atleast four movements after each meal.

2. Pain- if it is frequent and lasts longer.

3. Leak- you will feel thick water just wetting your clothes. Not minimal discharge.

4. Bleeding- obvious red colour.

You will need medical help in all these situations. Do not panic, if this is your first pregnancy, it takes about 12 hours for baby to come out after true labor pain and 6 to 8 hours, if second. All the best.

What does waterlike vaginal discharge indicate?

Query: Hi doctor, My aunt is 31 years old and had her uterus removed 11 years ago. From then she never had the periods nor any discharge. It was all alright until a month ago. She had suddenly started experiencing waterlike vaginal discharge which is little smelly, and it hurts in stomach sometimes. When s...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If there were few more facts about your aunt regarding the indication for uterus removal, any follow-ups, diabetic status, her sexual life, etc., would have been helpful. At the age of 31 years, the most probable cause is an infection. I put forth the possibilities a...  Read Full

I have postmenopausal vaginal discharge. Should I opt for a hysterectomy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 52 year old female, who weighs 75 kg and I am 152 cm tall. I want to know whether we should opt for hysterectomy or not. I do not want to do a hysterectomy, as it may interfere with hormonal balance later. I have postmenopausal vaginal discharge, with a fair amount of red spots. W...  Read Full >>

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have reviewed the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). According to the reports, there is an increased thickening of the endometrium, which is the inner lining of the uterus. A thickness of more than 5 mm is considered abnormal and often consider...  Read Full

Is normal delivery possible if the baby weighs more?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife has completed 39 weeks of pregnancy. We got an ultrasound yesterday, and the report is completely normal. But her labor pain is not getting induced, so the doctor is suggesting cesarean, as the baby's weight is 3.65 kg. My wife would like to have a normal delivery by inducing pain...  Read Full >>

Dr. Purushottam Sah

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), and it is normal. No, delivery is risk-free, normal or caesarean. If her BP (blood pressure) and blood sugar are normal, then there is no contraindication to normal delivery. Regarding the cha...  Read Full