Q. I have been having mild labor contractions all day. What can be done?

I am pregnant with my first child and I am 39 weeks and 3 days. I have been having mild contractions all day. For the past hour, they have been really intense and I have felt a lot of pressure. The midwife has told me not to come in as my contractions are still two minutes apart. I have just felt down below and I am slowly crowning. I am in agony and the midwife is determined that I do not need to go in yet. Shall I just go in?

#

Do not worry. This is not crowning, this is the last phase of the second stage of labor when the head of the baby is on your perineum. The rate of contractions will occur once in 2 to 3 minutes and will last for around 30 to 45 seconds. I would advise you to go in, as you have already reached the date, pain has been there for all day (that is quite a lot of time) and you feel they are increasing, along with the pressure feel.

Suppose you break out waters, the pain will be even more intense and you will not be able to move out easily. It is always advisable for you to be around the midwife when you are entering the active phase of labor. Just feel for the rate and duration of the uterine contraction and also for the severity of contraction. If it is getting closer and lasting longer, you better not wait.

|