Q. Is labor induction necessary or can we wait for few days?

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod

My wife is 29 years, 4 ft and 11 inches. She is now 39 weeks pregnant and her weight is 56.8 kg. I am attaching today's scan report. The doctor said her AFI is 8.2 (low) and fetal weight is 3 kg which is a little high for her. So, the doctor is suggesting induction labor. My question is, is the induction necessary? Also, I am confused with the scan report as it is showing gestation age as 36 weeks and EDD is 5th of next month. How is it possible as our delivery date is given as 17th of this month?

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

I have gone through your query and reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

The due date keeps changing, but the EDD given at early pregnancy is only to be followed. So, according to which your due date is 17th only.

Yes, according to the scan induction is required. Please listen to your gynecologist and go ahead with the decision. However, if you have a doubt then get back to me.

Take care.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

Dear doctor,

On what basis induction is necessary and which type of induction is good for my wife? Can we wait for another four to five days?

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Since she has low amniotic fluid, that is the reason for induction.

The type of induction depends on the gynecologist and the status of her cervix. The gynecologist will take a call.

Since she is already 39 weeks and has low amniotic fluid index it is better to go for induction.

Take care.

|