Q. I have vaginal discharge during my pregnancy. Is it normal?

Dr. Ahmed Amdihun Essa
and medically reviewed by Dr. Lochana
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 03, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 17, 2021

I am 11 weeks and 4 days pregnant. I have some sort of discoloration in my vaginal discharge. Initially, it was brown and pink, and later on, it was bright red for three weeks. I have done a transvaginal scan twice and everything is fine. Yesterday, I had my last scan and it was fine. Today, I vomited twice around 3 am and after that, I checked my vaginal discharge. I had bright red bleeding. Approximately, it can be 5 to 10 ml. I am worried. I do not have any pain and active bleeding at present. Please give me an advice.

#

Having intermittent bleeding in women around 11 weeks of pregnancy highly indicates a process of abortion. But your ultrasound showed you a normal finding. It is referred to as threatened abortion which is an early phase of abortion. More than 85% of bleeding is considered harmless. Have pelvic rest which means avoid sex and placing a foreign thing on the vagina. Have speculum examination to see the vagina and cervix as they help to rule out the cause of bleeding if your pregnancy is normal. Repeat ultrasound examination whenever required after bleeding gets stopped.

|