Q. Is it necessary to stop breast feeding in a lactose intolerant baby?

Dr. Vijaykumar Mundeshi
Published on Jan 22, 2020

My baby who is exclusively breastfed has just started her fifth month. For the past four days, she passes frothy liquid motion with little white like substance for a minimum seven times a day. The consultant doctor examined her stool and said that she has got lactose intolerance. He told me to stop breastfeeding and go with soya-based milk powder for three months from now on. Should I stop breast feeding? She is active and gaining weight.

Dr. Vijaykumar Mundeshi

Child Health Paediatrics
#

I went through the details you have provided in the query. Lactose intolerance is the absence of lactose enzyme which helps to digest and break down sugars, mainly lactose in the diet.

Lactose intolerance is of two types:

1. Primary

2. Secondary.

In primary lactose intolerance, there will be deficiency of this enzyme permanently and will have to avoid for life time or needs enzyme replacement for life.

In secondary intolerance, deficiency is only transient and will regain the enzyme in a few days, this occurs mostly after episodes of gastroenteritis and needs to avoid lactose diet for a few days or weeks. Your child needs further evaluation to check if it is primary or secondary.

The reports you have sent are not clear. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The second one, culture if positive will need treatment with antibiotics.

Though breast milk contains lactose and not easily digested by lactose-intolerant babies, it is not advised to stop breast feeding as advantage of continuing breast feeding outweighs problems due to lactose intolerance. Though giving lactose-free feeds reduces symptoms like loose motions and bloating.

My advice at this point is to continue breastfeeding but if loose stools are causing dehydration or weight loss in baby then go for lactose-free formula and repeat stool examination and tests for lactose intolerance again. Since it might be transient only and might improve in about one to two weeks and if repeat testing is normal then, normal breastfeeding can be given without any worry.

| 

Is there any permanent cure for sugar allergy and lactose intolerance?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 71 year old male, and I am allergic to sugar and eating preparations containing sugar. If I consume sugary substances, I develop internal bleeding in the intestinal tract I presume. But I can tolerate fruits; they cause no problem. I am having this problem for the last 15 years. ...  Read Full »

Benefits of Breastfeeding and a Few Tips to New Mothers

Article Overview: There are so many misconceptions about breastfeeding, so here are some tips for the new mothers.  Read Article

Dr. Krutika Ingle Karandikar
Lactation Counselor

Breastfeeding is the most beautiful thing for the mother and the baby in humans, just as for all mammals. There are so many misconceptions about breastfeeding and always a new mother will be in a confused state regarding breastfeeding. Here are some tips for the new mothers. When Should One St...  Read Article

What is the cause for yeast infection, gluten and lactose intolerance?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 30- years-old female. I have yeast infection and intolerance to gluten, lactose nuts, and other few things. I can not eat anything as everything hurts me. If I consume tea, some times I will have diarrhea, the other time I will become tired and have a high heart rate.  Read Full »