Q. Which formula milk shall I opt for my baby?

Dr. Prashant Kumar Singh
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 02, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 15, 2020

My daughter is 5 months old. Since I had less milk, she was formula fed. But, she developed a gas problem. We keep on switching the brand of formula milk, but it did not suit her. Her doctor advised Colicaid, but she still has issues. Can you please advise which formula milk is good for her?

Dr. Prashant Kumar Singh

Child Health Paediatrics Pediatric Allergy/Asthma Specialist
#

• The problem is not with the formula milk and it is with the way you feed the formula.
  • Generally, gas formation is more if the baby is on bottle feed and somewhat little when baby is breastfed.
  • The problem of gas formation is a common thing as babies tend to take in air along with milk while sucking. It is more in bottle feeding as the nipple does not have any valve to stop air; hence this air forms gas in the stomach. You need not worry or shop for doctors to overcome this problem.
  • Just a few precautions to follow are you need to burp the baby after every feed and use Colicaid drops (Simethicone) on a routine basis till baby overcomes this problem.
  • Generally, this problem will be there from 1 to 6 months or till you start semi-solid food.
  • There is no need to change the formula and continue whatever you were using earlier. Avoid bottle feeding, instead practice spoon feeding. Hope your baby will be fine soon.

For further information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

|