Q. Does cornea become strong with age?

Dr. Anand Yattinamani
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 12, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 02, 2020

I am 36 years old. I had LASIK before 13 years and I started getting cylindrical number after five years of LASIK. Now, my number is left eye -2.75 at 140 axis and right eye -5.5 at 40 axis. My left eye number has been stable for the last 5 years and my right eye number is stable for the last 2.5 years. Will it remain stable hereafter?

#

• Getting cylinder power after LASIK surgery is not a good sign. What was your power before surgery?
  • May be you had a thin cornea and after surgery it is likely that it may get bulged giving power again.
  • Strictly avoid rubbing eyes and get corneal topography test.
  • It is very unpredictable whether the power will remain same.
  • You can send pictures of your eyes and old records for more suggestions.

Revert back with the answers to the above questions to an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

I had corneal topography and cornea thickness test. The cylindrical number is stable now for the last four years. I used to get corneal topography every six months. I never rub my eye and wear spectacles. My vision is still 20/20 with glasses. The eye pressure is 16 in both the eyes. I know nothing is predictable, but with age does cornea get stronger? Can eye sight remain stable after a certain point after LASIK or will it always lead to complications?

#

• It is very good to know all your tests. Corneal topography, cornea thickness and cylindrical number are stable for the last four years is good news.
  • Your eye pressure is 16 in both the eyes is also normal. So, you need not worry.
  • As you said as the age progress like other parts of the body, your cornea becomes stiffer and loses flexibility. It will not become hard. So, bulging of the cornea also decreases.
  • If all your tests are stable, then you can get them done once a year from now.

For further doubts consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

|